Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

how SAP HANA actually work in the initial phase

former_member187565
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hello All,

I have a doubt (first one..there are so many)in SAP HANA. Which I am going to ask here.

I came to know that the HANA system have a high level RAM size 512 gb to 1 TR. There is secondary memory as well where the actual data store. Correct me if I am wrong here. So my question is that when the system start what happens ? Is all the data stored in secondary memory will go to RAM or how it actually work in the initial phase.

Any hint / idea much appreciate.

Regards,

Rafikul Hussain

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

lbreddemann
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Rafikul,

the answer - as often - is: it depends!

Data stored in row-store tables will be loaded into the main memory immediately on instance startup.

Data stored in column-store tables will be loaded upon first access, except when it has been specified that the table should also be loaded during startup.

There are some other options as well - but these two cases cover pretty much all the currently relevant cases.

regards,

Lars

former_member187565
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Thanks Lars,

SAP High Performance Analytic Appliance simply SAP HANA. My next question is why not SAP HPAA.

Regards,

Rafikul Hussain

Vitaliy-R
Developer Advocate
Developer Advocate
0 Kudos

In the past I questioned as well "Why HANA? Why not HOPA?" (point 4 in [here|http://bit.ly/eUkzrO]). But for the moment we should just simply accept the fact that 'HANA' does not stand for anything anymore, it's just a registered trademark of SAP.

former_member93896
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

It's called HANA because pretty much anyone in the world can pronounce and remember it.

Regards,

Marc

SAP Customer Solution Adoption (CSA)

Vitaliy-R
Developer Advocate
Developer Advocate
0 Kudos

Marc, while it is easy to remember there was a discussion some time ago that "HANA" may mean different things in different languages, like "YES-NO" in one of the languages in India, or "sudden death" in Russian slang 😄

former_member187565
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Yes, you are right.

Its in INDIA only HA means Yes and NA means NO .

Thanks and Regards

Rafikul Hussain

Answers (0)