cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Installation Server and Windows 7 - Admin Rights Issue

Former Member
0 Kudos

Here is a good one. Completely reproducible error when granting Local Admin Rights by the LSH Service.

For those with SAPGui Installation Server (SAPGui 7.20 Patch 6 or above) ... try this on a Windows 7 SP1 front end when you are NOT logged on with local admin rights.

1) Open the Windows RUN dialog

2) Type path to your installation server\setup\nwsapsetup.exe

3) You should find the install wizard starts (granting local admin rights) as expected.

NOW TRY THIS

1) Type path to your installation server\setup\nwsapsetup.exe /uninstall

2) You will find that you get a dialog about can't grant admin rights. Un-install will abort.

This only appears to happen with the /uninstall switch! Using /product= for example it will still grant admin rights.

BIZZARE ...

I've opened a Customer Support Message (Friday) priority - MEDIUM have not heard back from SAP Support yet.

Bob

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (2)

Answers (2)

jude_bradley
Advisor
Advisor
0 Kudos

Hello Bob,What's the message number?

The forementioned note 1587566 Installation problems with NwSapSetup Version 8.6

should fix the issue.

[http://sap/support/notes/1587566]

Regards,

Jude

Edited by: Jude Bradley on Sep 15, 2011 1:27 PM

Former Member
0 Kudos

Jude,

The patches you referred to in note: 1587566 had already been applied to the installation server.

NwSapSetup.exe is version 8.6.1.50

Problem also happens with patch 8 for Sapgui. And this ONLY happens with Windows 7, and ONLY happens when the /uninstall switch is used.

Bob

Former Member
0 Kudos

UPDATE - Sorry for the bad info ... but appears using /product and /package also cause the issue. The only way it works is with NO switch at all. then the install wizard opens just fine.

Bob

jude_bradley
Advisor
Advisor
0 Kudos

Hello Bob,

I see an extract from your supplied log:

1E Installation service : failed to start service: The stub received bad data.

Error code 0x000006f7(1783)

Now,in point 25 of the note, 1587566 gives this as fixed in the setup patch 8.6.1.63

=================================================================

25. LSH fails with a long commandline to NwSapSetup. Log entry in the DS

log looks like: "10:17:06 NwSapFeiUt 1E Installation service :

failed to start service Error message: The stub received bad data.

Error code 0x000006f7 (1783)." Fixed with 8.6.1.63.

==================================================================

You should be able to download the patch update via the link in the solution part of the note.

Best Regards,

Jude

Edited by: Jude Bradley on Sep 16, 2011 9:16 AM

Former Member
0 Kudos

Jude,

Thanks, it looks like that note has been getting a lot of update activity lately because the newly released Patch 8 has nwsapsetup.exe as version: 8.6.1.62 and that version also has the issue with the /nnnnnn switches.

I do have to say however, that this issue with nwsapsetup.exe and admin rights (requiring SapSetup.exe_Patch) first appeared with the release of Patch 6 for the Gui. It was fixed for WinXP (I had a customer support message opened on this). So why didn't anyone also test on Win7?

Who is QA-ing these software releases?

Patch 8 had the same problem.

The change log for SapSetup.exe_Patch, is up to 8.1.6.70 now.

How are we in large enterprises to feel comfortable deploying any of this?

End of rant ....

Bob

P.S. I really appreciate your presence here ... the tech assigned to my formal Support Message on the matter still has not gotten back advising of the updated release of SapSetup.exe_Patch.

Edited by: Bob Held on Sep 16, 2011 10:30 PM

jude_bradley
Advisor
Advisor
0 Kudos

Hello Bob,

I can't say why the issue still surfaced in windows 7,but if you are still having the issue with the installation server,

then development should get the updated logfiles.

Can you update your message with the logiles of the newest attempt. I don't want to hijack the message from another

processor,but I can still view the logfiles and ask our installation team to investigate.

Kind Regards,

Jude

Former Member
0 Kudos

Jude,

It is working now with the fix in the note you provided.

I guess I never explicitly got that across in my previous response

Thanks,

Bob H

Edited by: Bob Held on Sep 19, 2011 5:51 PM

jude_bradley
Advisor
Advisor
0 Kudos

Not a problem Bob,

I guess you can mark this one as answered for the convienence for other users who might benefit from this post.

Kind Regards,

Jude

Former Member
0 Kudos

Jude,

It appears that since I did not originally mark this as a 'Question' ... that I have no options to flag as 'Answered'.

Bob

jude_bradley
Advisor
Advisor
0 Kudos

Hello Bob,

I'll check if one of the admistrators can mark it as closed or answered.

BR,

Jude

vincentlim826
Employee
Employee
0 Kudos

Did you try with using an account with administrative priviliges on that server ?

is SAP note 1587566 & 1583295 helpful to you ?

Regards,

Vincent

Former Member
0 Kudos

Vincent,

When this happens I am logged on to the Win7 pc with basic user rights. The installation server is configured for the LSH service and as can be seen the service WORKS unless the /uninstall switch is used when running nwsapsetup.exe (off the server).

When nwsapsetup.exe is run without the switch, the install wizard appears just fine. I also find I can use /product and /package too. It's just using /uninstall where the admin rigths dialog appears.

Bob H

Jude - Message Number is: 0000746888 Includes relevant log files.

vincentlim826
Employee
Employee
0 Kudos

Ok. Thanks for updates.

Looks like SAP needs to fix this bug.