cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Travel expense types & Number ranges

Former Member
0 Kudos

a) Is it mandatory that we need to give different number ranges for various personal areas? or Can we leave it the same for all personal areas( say 000000001 to 999999999 ) and let SAP allocate automatically from the buffer. I have done this earlier and have not encountered any issues. Is it just a violation of best practice or it can go terribly wrong by this approach of just the same number range for all personal areas(i.e 0000000001 to 999999999) ?

b) If we have two possibilities for an expense say one is "company paid" and the other is "self paid". In that case should we create two different expense types? ie. say "Airfare Company paid" and "Airfare Self Paid" as two different expense types that would show on dropdown for expense types. So, in a company if we have 30 expense types, there is a possibility it can be company paid or self paid. So, we have to create 30X2 = 60 expense types that would also display in dropdown list , which will be very long. So, is there any alternative way of doing this?

Thanks, Fred

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (3)

Answers (3)

0 Kudos

Hi there

for issue 1)

The note already mentioned 62077 is best practise for number range and address the issue of buffering - but you might also like to look at notes 504875 and 678501 which give more details too.

If you still require continuous allocation, you can deactivate the number range buffering specifically for individual objects.

Proceed as follows:

- Start Transaction SNRO and enter the affected object.

- Choose 'Change'.

- Deactivate buffering: Choose 'Edit' -> 'Set Up Buffering' -> 'No

Buffering'.

Most importantly what these notes will tell you is that unless you deactivate the buffering (which is not reccommended!) then these gaps will unfortunately be a by product and unavoidable but without consequence.

Once you have ensured that your number ranges are defined consistently without overlapping trip number ranges for RP_REINR, then you can be sure you will not find inconsistency despite the gap in trip number assignment.

2) Yes you must create seperate expense types as otherwise you will have problem with posting and reimbursement to employee!

There is no other way around this unless you decide to create expense types by employee group perhaps which means your drop down will only have specific expense types available to either employee group, or if you are in WD ABAP EHP2+ you can restrict expense types by schema so employee can only select specific expense types.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

Please find my comments below..

a) Is it mandatory that we need to give different number ranges for various personal areas? or Can we leave it the same for all personal areas( say 000000001 to 999999999 ) and let SAP allocate automatically from the buffer. I have done this earlier and have not encountered any issues. Is it just a violation of best practice or it can go terribly wrong by this approach of just the same number range for all personal areas(i.e 0000000001 to 999999999) ?

In standard , Number ranges are allocated based on personnel areas.. However you can use User Exit to assign trip number based on even above level (company level) or below level personnel sub area ..

b) If we have two possibilities for an expense say one is "company paid" and the other is "self paid". In that case should we create two different expense types? ie. say "Airfare Company paid" and "Airfare Self Paid" as two different expense types that would show on dropdown for expense types. So, in a company if we have 30 expense types, there is a possibility it can be company paid or self paid. So, we have to create 30X2 = 60 expense types that would also display in dropdown list , which will be very long. So, is there any alternative way of doing this?

You can't assign one expense type in this situation because there are different behaviour at the expense type level (Reimbursable and not reimbursable) and Wage type to symbolic account level (Employee vendor or External Vendor or clearing account) ,

Regards,

Muhammad Umer

Thanks, Fred

Former Member
0 Kudos

One way is to minimize expense list in front of user, there is another method where your expense types will be single but wage type will be multiple or double.. User expense type will be reduced but configuration level work will be required more...

How to achive this:

Firstly you have define Service provider in V_T702K (Self and Company Paid)

then you have assign each wage type to Self paid and company paid.. one reimbursable to employee, secondly for vendor..

I hope it would serve your purpose...

Regards,

Muhammad Umer

Former Member
0 Kudos

hi, for trip number range you can refer to

or http://wiki.sdn.sap.com/wiki/display/ERPHCM/TripnumberRange

and if you still want fulfill your requirement, I think it will just a violation of best practice

SAP provide best practice to differentiate trip number based on personnel area because iIn this way you will avoid the duplication of trip numbers.

Please kindly refer to the note 62077 for further information.

Former Member
0 Kudos

hi,

can I have your mail id please....need to discuss on this thread with you.