cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Develop one iPhone & iPad app for SAP

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello Experts,

I have started looking into how one can develop an app for iPhone & iPad which can access data from SAP and display result on mobile device.

Right now, i am looking for simple scenario to be developed, but I do not know from where to start and what to do.

So, if someone can point to where should I be looking at and guide me, it would be great.

Once I am into it and know better, we would like to develop app which provides the status reports, graphical data to the people at managerial level.

I will wait for your expert comments.

Thanks,

Bhavik

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (7)

Answers (7)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Bhagat did you accomplish your task of creating an app? please email me. Amandanaj.aj@gmail.com Thanks.

joao_sousa2
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

For your first I would minimize investment and use the SOAP services which exist in the ERP without SUP or Gateway (Gateway provides REST services, but SOAP are included by default in the ERP).

After you create your SOAP web service in ERP (start with a "get customer list" or something) you can write all your app in Xcode, either by creating the proxy manually or using a tool to generate the proxy using the WSDL.

Herwig
Explorer
0 Kudos

Hello,

We've reently used the [RestKit|Http://restkit.org] framework to connect a native iphone app to a SAP ERP backend. Thus you can easily create a datamodel from the exposed SAP restful webservices and integrate them into iOS coredata. The webservices itself are created similary to [http://www.sdn.sap.com/irj/scn/weblogs?blog=/pub/wlg/14592] [original link is broken] [original link is broken];.

Best regards,

Herwig

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

The easiest way is to make use of Webservices and then consume them using libxml library in your xcode project.

Releasing the function module as a Webservice : http://www.google.co.in/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=release%20sap%20function%20module%20as%20webservice&source=...

Once this is done, rest is damn easy.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Bhavik,

The way I see it you have 3 choices: Sybase Unwired platform, NW Gateway or building the interface and the mobile code yourself. If you are looking for more information you can read my post on [SAPDEV|http://www.sapdev.nl]. I am working with NW Gateway at the moment (trial version) and I am really impressed by it.

Cheers,

Raymond

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Rocky,

We have not decided for any middleware or platform yet. What we have on hand right now:

SAP ERP 6.0

SAP NW7.01

SAP NW 7.02

I have read some posts and blogs on the SAP Gateway, but do not know what is the comfartability with that.

What are the options other than using SAP gateway?

Hi R. Does,

How did you find the SAp Gateway so far? Is it available from SAP right now to use it any try? What are the prerequisites to use that? Is there any special license to buy before using it?

What are the landscape changes required to use SAP gateway?

Please share your experience.

Thanks,

Bhavik

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Bhavik,

You can download it via SAP Marketplace. Go to: Software Download Centre -> Installations and Upgrades -> A-Z Index -> N. Also you can download a 90 days trail version via the SDN download page. I downloaded the Xcode developers tools some weeks ago but the quick link to de software seems to be removed. Go to [link|http://www.sdn.sap.com/irj/scn/downloads?rid=/webcontent/uuid/105f985b-7684-2e10-81b8-f1ad546e53e6] for the Xcode developer tools.

Graham Robinson wrote an interesting blog about Gateway (and SUP): [link|http://www.sdn.sap.com/irj/scn/weblogs?blog=/pub/wlg/26943] [original link is broken] [original link is broken]; It seems there is still some uncertainty about license costs for Gateway. In my opinion it should be free to use as it is just a tool to simplify the connection between R/3 and mobile devices and generates some code. If SAP asks a license fee then the example on my blog seems an interesting alternative because to my knowledge you do not pay a license fee to use the ICF.

former_member182638
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi,

In relation to the comment ... "you do not pay a license fee to use the ICF" .. you should be careful with making that assumption. This is a grey area, but you might want to check with SAP before exposing yourself to possible licensing issues. The most problematic area here is if you are using ICF services to expose functionality to users who are not already licensed SAP users. In Graham Robinson's blog, he was talking about a situation where he was looking to write an ICF service to serve to existing licensed users, so in his situation there is probably no licensing concern.

Just thought you should be careful about assuming any services exposed using ICF don't attract a licensing fee. After all, Web Dynpro screens are themselves served via the ICF!

Rgds

John

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi John,

Thank you for pointing that out. I also meant licensed SAP users but I assumed that you do not pay additional costs for ICF as you already paid licenses and you have to pay additionally for SUP. Is this correct?

Regards,

Raymond

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi R. Does,

Will it be possible for you to share some of the insights on how you had developed your flight demo application?

If you can provide technical information then it would be really great.

my emai Id: i m b h a v i k @ g m a i l

Thanks,

Bhavik

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Bhavik,

Please have a look at this [post|;. It explains ho to use ASIHTTPRequest and KissXML. If you need more info please let me know.

Cheers,

Raymond

Former Member
0 Kudos

Please check sybooks (http://infocenter.sybase.com/help/index.jsp) and navigate to Developer Guide for iOS

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi

What is the platform you are using to develop your applications .

What is the middleware you are using between SAP and your mobile device .

warm regards

rockky