cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to monitor , troublesheet SAP Print queues at O/S level (i.e.UNIX, AIX)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi All,

In our environment most of the time there is no problem of printing from sap side but from o/s level there are problem and we don't have direct access to o/s. Basis and server admin team from other vendor solved the problem.

But , i need to know is there any document/notes available to monitor and trobleshoot SAP print queues at o/s level? Request you to advice how i can do that?

Thanks

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (1)

Answers (1)

JPReyes
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

You can talk to your developer to create a little program to monitor printers using lpstat as a external command.

Regards

Juan

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Juan,

Thanks for the reply. Yes, lpstat is the command by which we can check the print status. But, many times they say that the print request are stuck in the queue. If this is the case how we going to resolve the problem? Shall we reset the print queue ? How?

Thanks

Deepak

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Deepak,

As Jones message, the status of the Print Queue in using the command LPSTAT Command,

lpstat -p < Print Queue Name>

There you will get status of Print ( Ex: Running,Sending and failed ).

For more information, Please read Notes,

Note 118057 - Flexible Configuration of the Spool Service

JPReyes
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

But, many times they say that the print request are stuck in the queue. If this is the case how we going to resolve the problem? Shall we reset the print queue ? How?

You will need to re-enable the queue, again you can write a simple program to use command enable <printer> queue. But at the end of the day if you don't hold administration rights for the OS you need to rely on your "server admin team" to solve the issues with the print server.

This is part of why is important for IT and SAP team to be aligned.

Regards

Juan

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello,

Commands like lpstat -p and lsque -q or for that matter lssrc -g spooler (AIX) will be valid also on the Type of Printing you use (Access method).

If its External Printing using access Method "E" usually this will be central printer servers being administered by Unix/Mainframes (depending on the type of soltuon being run), for which Basis Ideally should have no access.

And the ype of solution being used for Printing also requires competency (VPS/DRS etc)

For access methods "L" Local printing, I think Basis Should be given rights to check the print queue status, maintaining qconfig defining printers etc.