cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Migration target db size estimation

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

We are planning to move from linux max db to hp ux db6.Since it is a endian move can we estimate whether the target db size will decrease or increase.Thanks.

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

nicholas_chang
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Would be 10-20% smaller depends on how fragmented is your database as your database will be re-org when exported as dump.

Cheers,

Thanks,

Nicholas Chang

Former Member
0 Kudos

As i said earlier source is max db.As it is re-org free.i doubt we would be reclaiming space.I wanted to know whether the target db size would be less or else pretty much same considering the compression rate.Thanks.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello,

whether the target db size will decrease or increase - Will not increase in any case.

I wanted to know whether the target db size would be less or else pretty much same considering the compression rate - Would be less and if you would like to use 'compression' feature of DB6 later then size will be optimized further.

Moreover, Sandbox testing (one migration test) is off course for this purpose...To get the estimates.

Thanks

Former Member
0 Kudos

True a test migration would kind of give us rough estimates.I just wanted to know whether changing from little endian to big endian would have any impact.Thanks.

0 Kudos

Can't imagine that the endianess will be of impact on the size of the databse. It only dictates the way data is written and read.

Since maxdb and DB2 are different rdbms system, it is hard to predict the change in volume.

Former Member
0 Kudos

I agree with S. van Gemert, endian change would not have any impact.

Thanks

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

Thanks i just needed that confirmation.Thanks.

Answers (0)