cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

SPM 2.1 datasource background activity when running report for first time

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi All,

When I log into SPM and click New -> Report, the cursor changes to the timer icon before i drag in a dimension or run a report.

In SM66 there is an SQL read statement that appears to coincide with this front end behaviour.

Often this process times out in the front end with a timeout error and "time dimension value help failed".

Then if i go to create a new report again, a new tab opens, and it opens instantly and there is no SQL read statement.

Why is an SQL read statement occurring at this point before any data is selected?

Why does it take so long?

Many thanks for any help

Kind regards,

Neil

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (1)

Answers (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello,

We initialize the time dimension when the reporting console is opened for the first time. Sometimes depending on the load on your server , this could take a long time thus timing out. I would suggest you to look at the load on your java server. Also , check if there are any background processes running on the ABAP side. Also take a look at the timeout limit in Application Properties and see if you can increase this limit.This might help initially.

As mentioned , the time dimension is only initialized when the reporting console is opened for the fist time in a given session. This explains why you don't see such a behavior subsequently.

Hope this helps!

Thanks,

Madhav

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Madhav,

Please could you provide a little more detail of the purpose of the load for the time dimension value help.

After the "value help failure" message. Creating a new report immediately afterwards works perfectly, and all the time dimension options, such as year on year, are available.

This suggests that the statement has no value.

I have also opened a customer message for this.

Kind regards,

Neil