cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

CTS+ Reference and change file issues

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi All,

I am wondering for the following questions on CTS+, Can any one please thow some comments.

When we create a reference file of a source reposiotry and using that reference file we will create Q and P repositories.... When ever we make any development/change in source repository we will generate new reference file and a change file...

We need to import change file in to Q to get the new code... thats fine..

1) Now I wonder if I have the first/any change file of the source and import in to a newly created repository (which is not made of source reference file) am I able to add the new fields,validaitons and workflows in to the new repository or will it fail as it is not compatable??

2) If the change file in the above scenario fails, may I know the reason why it failed technically or how MDM system cheks?

3) In MDM 7.1 using repository schema export option do I get workflows/validaitons/assignments/maps of the repository so taht I can manually import in to another repository using console options?

Thanks

Rajeev

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (2)

Answers (2)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thanks Verma for your inputs...

Can you please share how it works in real time with MDM transports using CTS+??? Project route and support route??

In that case they end up with multiple sources to production box right incase of project and support both make changes parallely??

Regards,

Rajeev

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Rajeev,

Very good question.

SAP MDM transport is not similar to SAP ECC transport as it does not uses ECC client concept. So there is no separate client for Project & Support.

It becomes bit tricky if your project is not going live at one go but is planned for phase wised GoLive. With phased wise GoLive, I mean Project/Support team both working in parallel. You have to coordinate very well to move the changes from one environment to other.

For Support team, you should always make changes in DEV repository and move the changes to production via QA using the Export Change File CTS+.

For Project team, you should always archive/unarchive the DEV repository in Sandbox or a separate repository in DEV. Then the project team needs to work on this Sandbox repository and once ready to move things in Production they should manually update the existing Support teams DEV repository and move the changes to Production via QA. So the project team should manually keep a note of the changes they are making on the repository.

If the Project team and Support team agree to work on the same DEV repository with good coordination then it makes things more easy.

According to my experience, In SAP MDM landscape for using the Export Change File CTS+ transport process there should always be one source repository.

Thanks,

Shambhu.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

I am wondering how do I create the target repository from source if I want to use CTS+?? Using export repository schema or using reference file from source?

Please advise.

Thanks

Rajeev

0 Kudos

Hi Rajeev,

To use CTS,source and target repository should have same structure.when you create a new repository during enviornment set-up,you have to first create repository with Schema export/import method and going forward,use CTS for transport of all delta changes.

As Shambhu said that you should have one source repository to initiate the transport.It could be dev or test system.If you don't do that,you might end up in lot of confusion.

Regarding your question about Validations,assignment which can not be transported.When you create 'Export change file',System will show you 'Has data dependencies' under comments column in dialog box being opened for Accept/reject the changes.This happens when you have used lookup values in validation expression.

Hope this is helpful

Thanks,

vineet

Former Member
0 Kudos

hi,

In the initial phase.. I have one source repository and want to create a as Is repository in QA for that I am using export repository schema .. do we have all the objects moved from source to target repository? even workflow, assignments, validaitons as well?

Basically I wnat to know steps to move Dev to QA for using CTS+..

Export schema from source

cretae target repo from above exported schema (Do all objects are created ?? validations/assignments/workflows?)

then create a reference file in souce

and moviing forward for any change create change file and import in to target repo using cts+

2) Also want to know is it fine if I take the a2a file of production and use that as a support route box and also development, QA box once golive, does this creates any problem?

Plesae advise

Thanks

Rajeev

Former Member
0 Kudos

Answer to your questions -

1) As repeatedly in different threads posted by you, the answer remains the same. The Validations/Assignments/Workflows

can be transported only via Archive/Unarchive path during the initial environment setup. So use ARchive/Unarchive method for initial move to QA. Once you create the .a2a file, you can use the CTS+ transport request to create a transport request and attach this file in that.

The Export Change File CTS+ will only capture the deltas for objects after the reference file is created.

Read page 22 for list of objects that CTS+ supports - http://www.sdn.sap.com/irj/scn/go/portal/prtroot/docs/library/uuid/d0dd1ae0-36e5-2b10-f8b4-e6365e643...

2) After GoLive, You can take the Production repository archive to bring all environment in synch. Only care needs to be taken that in DEV you have to create a new Transport Reference File after the move.

Thanks,

Shambhu.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hey S

There is a very basic point which can help you in understanding how it works.

Validations/Assignemnets/Workflow/Map filters or any configuration in MDM which use the table records values(mostly lookup tables) will not work if you use export schema option for creating the target repository in MDM.

Use of a2a files will ensure that all the above configurations work well.

Both options has got plus and minus. Which one to use depends on project scenarios/type and bandwidth of team/cutover planning etc. There is no right or wrong approach though!!

Any further questions pls let me know.

BR- Ravi

Former Member
0 Kudos

can you update the thread please? Is this resolved now..

Former Member
0 Kudos

Answer to your questions -

1) Now I wonder if I have the first/any change file of the source and import in to a newly created repository (which is not made of source reference file) am I able to add the new fields,validaitons and workflows in to the new repository or will it fail as it is not compatable??

There are conditions when it will fail. For example, if you delete a validation in source repository which is already not present in Target then it will fail, as the process will first search for that validation to delete it. As the target repository needs to be at the same state as the source was before the new Transport reference was created. The schema definition needs to be exactly same like the names of the workflows, name of the validations etc. for an update transport. In case of new fields or additions it depends but most of the time it will fail.

To rule out your doubts, I would suggest to try hands on the demo repository.

2) If the change file in the above scenario fails, may I know the reason why it failed technically or how MDM system cheks?

I assume it checks the schema definitions and first does the compatibility test. If it finds that the target schema is not identical to the source it fails. Since Export Change File CTS+ creates a Delta xml with only changes information, it needs to have a compatible structure to get it imported as well. If you open the Delta xml, you will see tags and the operation associated with each tag.

3) In MDM 7.1 using repository schema export option do I get workflows/validaitons/assignments/maps of the repository so taht I can manually import in to another repository using console options?

Workflows/validations(in some case)/assignments(in some case)/maps - are not transported with Schema Export.

Check page 190 for details about schema transport in MDM Console Reference Guide - http://help.sap.com/saphelp_nwmdm71/helpdata/en/4b/71608566ae3260e10000000a42189b/MDMConsole71.pdf

Thanks,

Shambhu.