Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to handle when the "approvers" goes out of the company ? :-(

diegohs
Active Participant
0 Kudos

Hi guys,

I have a very special requirement and I dont know if it is possible (Im not able to find any similar in this forum).

THE PROBLEM: the company has a lot of employee "movements", a lot of new people enter the company, a lot of people goes out.

So, the problem is related with the approver guys. How can we handle a pending authorization when the approver is not in the company. Should we delete the user ? Should we blocked him/her ? Should we handle all the structure using generic positions ?

I heard that it could be solved if we manage generic positions in the Org. Structure, when a user goes out of the company the generic position remains, and also the pending autorizations for the "new user".

Could you give me some clues about how to solve this ?

Thanks so much for your help!

Kind regards,

Diego

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

masa_139
Product and Topic Expert
Product and Topic Expert
0 Kudos

Hello Diego,

Some ideas from WF technical side.

1. set WF inbox substitute to new manager

2. If it is a SC, requester changes something to restart WF. It depend on WF_SECURITY setting.

3. create WF event manually to restart the WF, WF selects new manager

4. enhance the WF to handle deadlines. If the manager has no action for 3 days set the agent to administrator.

5. SWIA - Execute workitem as administrator. (may not work?)

Regards,

Masa

diegohs
Active Participant
0 Kudos

Hi Masayuki,

Thanks for your advice.

Anybody has another approach ?

How do you handle that in your company ?

Regards,

Diego

yann_bouillut
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Diego,

I would have done point 4 of Masayuki

Once the administrator receive the workitem, he will be able to forward it to the substitute.

Kind regards,

Yann

Answers (2)

Answers (2)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi

If the approver goes out of the company, we move these workitems to the other replacing him or the other by using SWIA. We then deactivate/lock the user and move him to inactive list (created a new org unit), but donot delete the user since old documents are still tied to his user data.

We use a substitution table (ztable), if the user goes in absence for a long time, the new user will substitute for the given timeframe. Tasks are assigned to the roles.

Regards

Reddy

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Diego,

If i understand right your problem , Then it is something related to Workflow. It Picks the Approver from the approver list in the workflow.

For this issue iam sure by a small modification in a workflow Badi 'BBP_WFL_APPROV_BADI' and Method 'IF_EX_BBP_WFL_APPROV_BADI~GET_REMAING_APPROVERS'.And here , Modify the Code oin the Form where it is Picking up the Approver based on the User Id of the Approver.

This is my First Reply and if you are able to solve the issue , Please Let me Know.

Chaitanya Kumar.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Diego,

We had the same scenario in some of our projects and we usually handled this situation by specifying in the code that if the next approver is not found, the work item would go into the WF-ADMINS inbox.

The WF-Admins were defined and tied to a special role.

Hope this helps !! Please assign points for usefull answers !!

Thanks,

Sundeep

diegohs
Active Participant
0 Kudos

Hi Guys,

thanks for your valuable help.. I think I'll request a change in the WF in order to manage this (According to all of your recommendations).

Yesterday, a guy told me that the WF should be using Positions instead of persons. He made a long speech about workflow best-practices, positions, org. estructure and so on... Somebody has heard something similar ?

He said: your workflow should be directed to positions and not to users. Because if the person leaves the company, the position remains in the org. estructure and you can assign a new guy in that pos.

Do you know something ?

Thank you!

Diego

Former Member
0 Kudos

Diego,

You thank us for valuable help but you dont reward any points ?? Those rewards only encourage folks to answer !!! hehehe....

However, hope the WF information helped.

Thanks,

Sundeep

diegohs
Active Participant
0 Kudos

Hi Sundeep,

Well... Im not rewarding points because I dont consider this post closed yet.. I think I can reward just some points isnt it ? Sometimes I would like to give 10 points to several guys but I can't in sdn =(

But dont worry my friend, I always reward points in the threads opened by me 😃

Pd: the last thing I would like to know is the issue regarding "positions" in Workflow.

Kind regards, 😃

Diego

Former Member
0 Kudos

Diego,

hehehe...I was just joking !!! I share teh same feeling too...

coming back to your question !! I would like to know if your workflow is driven by the SL approver attribute?? Also if you could give me a brief summary of the current workflow you guys have designed, i could probably provide some insight if possible.

Thanks

Sundeep

diegohs
Active Participant
0 Kudos

Je.je.je.. 😃

Ok, the WF guy build the actual wf based primarily on the standard one. However.. as I told before, we're not sure about how to handle when the user leaves the company.

I suggested: change the password, enter into the system and enable forwarding, block the user, and after a while we can delete permanently the user.

However, a guy suggested that the workflow should be directed to positions and not users. He told that my Org Estructure (PPOMA) is wrong, the said that positions should not be deleted and the wf should read positions, instead of users.

I told him that SRM in standard, if you create a user the system creates a position with the user's name. But.. Im not sure about his suggestion. Is it possible ? Is it recommended ? because I tested the standard workflows but it seems that they're not using those positions he mentioned.

Any idea about this ?

Thanks guys !

Kind regards,

Diego

Former Member
0 Kudos

Diego,

I believe it is possible to drive your workflow by Positions and not users. (by organisational id in the workflow). This will however not solve your problem as the workflow will pick up all users with that position in the workflow and send the WI as a parallel WF. This will create unnecessary confusion across the Organization structure.

The best recommended way would be to temporarily send the WI to WF's admin inbox. The WF admin can then assign the appropriate approver as a substitute.

Thanks,

Sundeep

yann_bouillut
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Diego,

WF through position is possible;

However, when a user is leaving the company, sometimes you don't replace him the same day or sometimes you don't replace him at all !

In such cases, you can't manage this through position !

Best approach is the admin WF.

Kind regards,

Yann