Application Development Discussions
Join the discussions or start your own on all things application development, including tools and APIs, programming models, and keeping your skills sharp.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Unicode Export: Downtime Optimization

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi all,

I need to reduce the overall downtime of the db export process and I need to put the biggest db tables into separate packages.

How can I do this?

I have already modified the following files into <export_dir>/ABAP/DATA and <export_dir>/DB/ORA before to launch sapinst:

ddloadd.tab

*.STR

*.EXT

but unfortunately sapinst overwrites them with standard table distribution in the beginning of the export process.

I need also to define groups of packages, this is my "order_by.txt" file modified:

#PACKAGES NAME

SAPAPPL1

SAPSPROT

SAPDODS

SAPUSER5

SAPSDOCU

SAPSSRC

1. package group 1

[ SEQUENTIAL GROUP ]

jobNum = 4

#PACKAGES NAME

SAPAPPL2

SAPSSEXC

SAP0000

SAPUSER1

SAPDFACT

SAPDDIM

1. package group 2

[ SEQUENTIAL GROUP ]

jobNum = 4

#PACKAGES NAME

SAPAPPL0

SAPCLUST

SAPSPROT

SAPSLOAD

SAPSLEXC

SAPUSER

SAPSDIC

SAPPOOL

1. package group 3

[ SEQUENTIAL GROUP ]

jobNum = 4

It's correct?

Oracle DB versione:10.2.0.4

SAP kernel version: 7.01

Thanks in advance for your help.

Regards,

Massimiilano

6 REPLIES 6

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello,

You can put the biggest db tables into separate packages according to size sort parameter in sapinst screen. Then 'import order' can be defined to select those bigger tables/packages to get imported 'first' as compared to a default import sequence.

Thanks

Former Member
0 Kudos

In order to change the default table distribution into the packages, I should modify the DB configuration files into <export_dir>, but soon after sapinst starts it overwrites with the default STR, EXT files.

Kind Regards,

Massimiliano

0 Kudos

Which files are you refering as "DB configuration files" ?

nils_buerckel
Product and Topic Expert
Product and Topic Expert
0 Kudos

Hi Massimiliano,

where did you get the information that you have to modify DB config files in order to split STR files ?

As far as I know, you just need to select the proper option in SAPinst in order to achieve splitting of STR files.

Best regards,

Nils Buerckel

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Massimiliano,

In order to reduce the downtime for DB export you have to perform Tablesplitting and change your database parameters accordingly.

For tablesplitting please follow the system copy guide (Preparation for Tablesplitting)

During export and Import modify the Oracle DB parameters as per the OSS Note 936441 - Oracle settings for R3load based

system copy

Regards,

Ershad Ahmed.

former_member189725
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi,

Once you start sapinst ,let sapinst create the files as it does. Once sapinst stops and asks you to configure migmon and start it manually, delete all the files under <export_dir>/ABAP/DATA and <export_dir>/DB/ORA. Then carry on with the manual preparation wherein you generate STR files ,EXT files, split packages, generate WHR files and place them properly into the required directories.

The file order_by.txt should be like this

-

[Package-Group-1]

jobNum=1

SAPAPPL1

SAPAPPL2

[DYNPSOURCE]

jobNum=3

DYNPSOURCE-1

DYNPSOURCE-2

DYNPSOURCE-3

DYNPSOURCE-4

-

The names within brackets can be anything of your choice. The names in blue will be in square brackets.

Edited by: Ratnajit Dey on Nov 22, 2011 9:38 AM