Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

smartforms - Why Oh Why?

TMNielsen
Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi

I know it is not new problems I raise in this thread, and maybe my first question should be.

Has SAP stopped development of SSF after introduction of adobe forms?

When a program lines is created in SAP we have to define all global variables we want to reference or change as Input parameters or output parameters - but why ? - in the end the generated subroutine is just using global variables and no subroutine parameters, so in fact definition of parameters in the Smartform is just unnecessary work (a nuisance) .

Why Oh Why is the code editor not a proper abap editor. The program lines editor in Smartforms has always been a disaster.

In the form interface tables must be defined with a LIKE type assignment, but when we then double click the associated type we get the message "Navigation not supported for LIKE. Why Oh Why?

I could continue this list of questions.

I'm in the middle of teaching a new programmer to use Smartforms, and again and again I get the question:

Why do you call this SMART forms.

That question always make me quiet for a while.

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (4)

Answers (4)

raviahuja
Contributor
0 Kudos

Interesting Questions with answers we too are searching for long..

Former Member
0 Kudos

Well, when i read your list of complaints, i must laugh hard, cause yeah you got some points there.

To be honest i can understand you, cause from our (the dudes that use the tool) point of view those things really raise the question "Why oh why".

But on the other hand, these hurdles didnt impede me from creating brilliant outputs with SMARTFORMS in the past.

On a sidenote, when i was at my training at SAP and such questions arose, the lecturers always told us that these problems were a result of the historical growth of ABAP and its related tools.

SuhaSaha
Advisor
Advisor
0 Kudos

I can attempt to answer only 1 question of your & that's,

Why do you call this SMART forms?

'Coz they are indeed SMARTer than SAPScripts.

I'd worked in the FI module for almost 3.5 yrs & ask me the pains of handling SAPScripts

TMNielsen
Contributor
0 Kudos

I forgot to mention a very annoying problem:

Why Oh Why isn't there a where-used function for global variables?