cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Best Oracle datafile size for a SAP ECC6 database.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello,

We plan to migrate our ECC6 SAP database on a new Windows X64 plateforme running with :

- Windows 2008 R2

- Oracle 10.2.0.5.

The actual Oracle database size is more 2 Tbytes.

Please could help me to find the best size for the Oracle datafile in this new plateform ?

Today we create Oracle Tablespace for SAP with 8 GBytes datafiles but we have too many datafiles to managed.

Do you have experimented 16 GBytes, 32 GBytes, 64 Gbytes datafiles for Oracle Tablespaces on this kind of SAP Plateform ?

Thank you very much for your reply.

Best regards.

Jean-Pascal.

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

former_member682089
Participant
0 Kudos

Hi Jean-Pascal,

Please refer to the SAP notes for Datafile Size logically if large data files (check value in SAP note as max size is dependend on many factors) are assigned during initial stage (DB creation/DB import) fragmentation of data is less and perfomance is touch better. if you have database of 2 TB then better to use 32GB X 65-70 files to reduce fragmentation.

Sandeep

Answers (4)

Answers (4)

audunlea_hansen
Active Participant
0 Kudos

Hi!

I'd like to say 32GB files are a good size. But remember to check/test your OS and backup system to verify if they handle filesizes bigger than 32GB.

Another reason why i like not bigger files than 32GB is files of this size are possible to handle at OS-level and not taking too long time to e.g. backup / restore or simply copy around on disks. If your database, os and backupsystem can use it, 32 or 64GB sounsd for me like a good size.

Regards

Audun

DBA

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Pascal,

>> We plan to migrate our ECC6 SAP database on a new Windows X64 plateforme running with :

>> - Windows 2008 R2

>> - Oracle 10.2.0.5.

One more suggestion; upgrade to Oracle 11g asap.

Check the note 1339724 - Oracle 10.2 Extended Support free until July 31, 2011

Best regards,

Orkun Gedik

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Pascal,

Check the note 129439 - Maximum file sizes with Oracle.

Bees regards,

Orkun Gedik

stefan_koehler
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hello Jean-Pascal,

well the answer as usual - it depends )

We already discussed that topic some time ago - please check this thread:

Your storage sub system and stripping matters of course too.

Regrds

Stefan

former_member204746
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi,

depending on the block size, I was using 8K blocks and maximum datafile size was about 32GB. that worked fine for me.