cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

The sap logon screen password field restrict to max 8 characters in NW 2007

0 Kudos

Hello all,

I have a requirement in our SAP Net weaver 2007 system to restrict password field on sap logon screen to max 8 characters can type not more than 8. Right now on NW 2007 it will allow upto 40 characters to type.

sample :

The following fields on sap logon screen should have

Client 000

User ABCDEFGHIJ

Password (It should allow ONLY 8 characters)

Language EN

Please advise me whether it requires a abap code change or where we need to make the changes.

Thanks

Sridhar

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (2)

Answers (2)

Former Member
0 Kudos
The following fields on sap logon screen should have
Client 000
User ABCDEFGHIJ
Password (It should allow ONLY 8 characters)
Language EN

Client can be managed with login_client parameter (Instance)

Password can be managed with min password length (only for minimum not for maximum)

Language can be managed with parameter

Why you want to restrict the maximum password legth (Its an option to user).

Regards,

Nick Loy

0 Kudos

Hi Nick,

We are going to use Syncher tool which updates the password globally for all sap & non-sap systems. And this Syncher tool is based on few C++ programming and call sap function modules externally to update the user passwords.

The Syncher configured in the past to update user password with length max 8 (compatible with 640) but after we upgraded to 701, the password rules changes in sap and syncher stopped working due to incompatibilities. So we are planning to make the the sap system to work with old password rules by changing the "login/password_downwards_compatibility" = 5 " profile parameter. This makes the password allowed length 8 & no-case sensitive. But the log-on screen is still need to modify with the below steps and I need advise if there would be any issues by changing the sap standard program "SAPMSYST". please advise if you have any suggestions.

In transaction se80, Program -->SAPMSYST

screen 0020

Layout(Screen painter).....The password input (RSYST-BCODE)..change Lg from 12 to 8

Then activate the change..and see if it works

Thanks

Sridhar

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

Please check this link for an idea:

http://sap.ittoolbox.com/groups/technical-functional/sap-security/ecc-60-password-length-1396296

From my point of view looks complex and 'unstable'. Perhaps others can help.

Regards,

Srikishan

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

You will not be able to set max password length to restrict to 8.

Please find the link below to explore more..keep us posted if you find any alternative way.

Best Regards,

Vasanth G

0 Kudos

I got the following suggestions from other sources. Please let me know if any one implemented this or not and there would be any issues by doing the following changes please advise.

There is no way to limit max password length using an instance parameter. This can only be done by changing source code.

In transaction se80, Program -->SAPMSYST

screen 0020

Layout(Screen painter).....The password input (RSYST-BCODE)..change Lg from 12 to 8

Then activate the change..and see if it works

Thanks

Sridhar