Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Project definition and WBS numbering sync issue

former_member711289
Participant
0 Kudos

Dear All,

In my project i realise one issue. Whenever i am using template to create new project, i use replace and include option to get the proper project creation. Now i feel one issue in that , if i use standard project definition TEM-DEV-0050 (just an example) and search for next available number and get TEM-DEV-0031. Now when i create project (I am using this template first time in system) system creates new project with project definition number TEM-DEV-0031 but when i see WBS number its coming as TEM-DEV-0050 and so on.

So system is taking PD becuase that number is available but not creating WBS with same sequence..and taking the template number. I know this problem will come only when we use the template first time but it creates wrong project in the system and also when i will create operative project TEM-DEV-0050 system wont be able to create that project because WBS with same number is already created wrongly.

Kindly suggest.

Regards

Abhishek

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (3)

Answers (3)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Abhishek ,

I thnk you are not using replace function. When you use templete for copying then select yellow triangle at bottom. Then replace 0050 to 0030. Check this and include this.

I thnk it will solve your purpose. If you still having doubt then plz use validation for project definition and WBS numbering.

Regards

Keshav

former_member711289
Participant
0 Kudos

Hi Keshav,

I am using replace button when system will give messae that WBS cant be included. My issue is that my project template number is say TP-0100 and now i am using this template first time. Now when i use this template and lets say system show me next available operative project number is TP-0040. Now when i am creating project system will take project definition TP-0040 and copy from template.

Note: Because system is using template first time so system wont ask you to replace and include becasue TP-0100 WBS hasnt beeen used that and availble for new project.

Now when i will use project definitoin TP-0040, system will make project definition TP-0040 but when i will check the project i will see project definition TP-0040 and first WBS is TP-0100.

Remember in case system gives you message to replace and include , than you cant create project you will have to replace WBS for further processing. But for me system is not asking to replace bcause WBS TP-0100 is available to be used and making wbs TP-0100 under project definition TP-0040.

Kindly revert back to me in case of any further clarification.

Regards

Abhishek Sinha

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi

You can create a new project inputting Standard template value on the pop up screen.

Regards,

PSR

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

YOu can use validation to ensure that Project Defn code and wbs element codes are similar in case you forget to do the replace the codes during copying from template.

Regards,

B P Singh

Former Member
0 Kudos

hi,

While replacing just give 0050 in the from input and 0031 in the to input. I think this should work for you.

Regards

Sagar

former_member711289
Participant
0 Kudos

Hi Sagar,

You are talking about ideal condition when system ask you to replace and include but if you read my issue carefully in that situation system wont even ask you to replace and will make a wrong project bcz that time project definition 31 would be available so system creates project with out asking to replace only wrong think would be wbs numbering bcz of getting copied from standard WBS.

Regards

Abhishek

former_member201206
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Abhishek ,

If you create a new project using a standard project, you should get a pop up screen to input the number for the new poject. And there is a WBS icon (yellow triangle) to let you replace the WBS IDs.

Kind regards,

Zhenbo

former_member711289
Participant
0 Kudos

Hi Zhenbo,

Lets explain this with example if my template is ABC-DEV-0001 and when i create operative project, first time no problem bcz same number will be used for operative project. Second time when u will create ABC-DEV-0002 that time you will be asked to replace the numbers.

Now take example in which your template number is ABC-DEV-0050 and you are creatng project first time, now if you create project number ABC-DEV-0001, this project definition is available so system will let u create project with out replace and include but when u see the project you will find project definition number as ABC-DEV-0001 but below that you will see WBS number as ABC-DEV-0050 because system is copying from the template.

I hope above explanation will give you view where the issue is coming.

Regards

Abhishek Sinha

Former Member
0 Kudos

Dear Abhishek,

That is why you use the replace functionality. The system does not check on it's part and the replace function helps to make the change more faster (you get to do it once rather than for every line item).

Regards,

Syed Ammar Zaheer

former_member711289
Participant
0 Kudos

Hi Ammar,

But if you read my example above, you wont get chance to check and replace because when you are creating project, first search for next available project definition number suppose its ABC-DEV-0021 and you are using this template first time so system will accept project definition number and take you directly in project builder and dont give chance you to check or replace and include. When you see the project you will find project definition number as ABC-DEV-0021 and WBS number as ABC-DEV-0050 (Assume ABC-DEV-0050 was template number).

Again keep in mind i am using this template first time than only you will get this problem.

Regards

Abhishek Sinha