cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

POC calculations of internal activity and service activities

0 Kudos

Hi,

I need some help regarding POC.

In the scenario, I am using two activities----Internal and service.

The internal Activity is used only for scheduling and confirmation of activities. There is a work center attached to it, but there is no cost attached to it.

The service activity is only related to cost.

Now, I want to calculate the POC for internal activity similar to the MSP i.e, POC calculated at the activity level will role up to give the POC at the WBS level ( this POC will be related to the POC as per the confirmation of the work that is the actual % of completion).

To calculate the EV only the cost from the service activity will work. i.e, the actual cost which is coming from the RA Bill (ML81n) and the planned cost from the services in the service activity. So this POC will be different from the POC calculate in the internal activity confirmation.

How to map both the scenarios in the same project ?

Kindly furnish some idea.

Regards,

A. Bose

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (1)

Answers (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Which progress tracking method are you using for EV analysis?

Is it necessary to maintain both internal & service activity as cost is only being incurred on one? You may use confirmations for service activity as well and it will be rolled up just like the internal activity.

Regards,

Syed Ammar Zaheer

0 Kudos

Hi Syed Ammar Zaheer,

In the scenario it is necessary to put both service & internal activity, because service activity is on the basis of work packages so you will not be able to bifurcate the activities in details if you do not use internal activities.

kindly give feedback.

Regards,

Abhra Bose

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Abhra,

You can use both activity types if required but I would recommed you to look up on the three types of activities so that you are able to choose the best option that fits your business requirement:

1) Internal

2) External

3) Service

You can use confirmations for both service as well as internal activities. This will help you with your POC calculation as the values will be aggregated to the WBS level. I tried to inquire from you which EV method you are using because that may assist you in determining the POC of activities (either service or internal) based on specific requirements.

Now for EV to work you need to plan cost at the activity level for fair reflection (please note that this is also aggregated at the WBS level therefore if you do not plan cost at activity level, you will however get some estimated value at the WBS) of earned value. Based on your statements, I assume that EV is being calculated for the service activity correctly (as it has planned and probably actual cost) but not for the internal activity. I'm afraid without planned and actual cost, EV cannot be calculated. Have you tried using cost from the work center (which is assigned to a cost center)? You may use activity types in the confirmations as well.

Please let me know if this is what you were looking for.

Regards,

Syed Ammar Zaheer