cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Problem only in production server,

Former Member
0 Kudos

Last question for tonight :). Btw, is there a restriction on how many questions one can post a day.

How would you solve an issue which the client is having only on Production Server.

Some restrictions here:

1. You donot have the production data in QA or in any form/server.

2. Yes, you can probably use firefighter(Virsa) and log onto production server, analyze the problem. But how can you run an end-to-end test run of a scenario.

3. Example, if you want to test an OTC cyle, you cannot raise/save a Sales order in production, if you want to do that in QA you dont have the master data and sometimes the configuration also is different in QA vis-a-vis production.

4. I am not painting an imaginary/hypothetical scenario, it happens and will keep happening with businesses. Can't name them :).

I thought Laxmipathi was the undisputed king of this forum, its good to see Rags compete with him. Healthy competition.

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

former_member182378
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

We had a similar situation with only production server. We had to test - OTC cycle

All staff were informed of the timings of the testings and in all documents the PO # would be given TEST. We had created a set number of test cases (e.g. 5 sales orders etc.)Dummy customer and dummy material were created for these testing.

We scheduled testing to be done in Production server, during the lunch break with 1 keyuser and 1 consultant. We kept the testing pace fast, finished testing in 2hrs. After testing DELETED/ Cancelled all documetns giving proper Reasons (PO = TEST, reason for rejection, order reason)

Informed the manager when we were done with the testing. Gave him a short summary of our test and findings.

Asked the other users if the system was working ok.

It worked fine for us.

Answers (5)

Answers (5)

former_member182378
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

I was thinking about the Dev server, do you have dev server (must have it)?

in that if you have 2 clients - Sandbox and Golden, in Dev server; then you can try to do tests in Sandbox, for tests in future. Rather than do it in Prod server.

Please advise, as it shall my learning too!

Former Member
0 Kudos

Of course we have Sandbox. See, in sandbox we do all the R & D, but we (for that matter nobody) donot have a copy of the production data iin sandbox.

Sometimes, the testing that you do in Sandbox/Dev may not produce the same problem that you may encounter in Prod. Regarding your question of master data problem in PROD, we were testing the OTC cycle for export scenario but we were unpleasantly shocked to see VAT getting triggered for export sales(due to wrong tax code). Common knowledge tells us that VAT is only for sales within the state, but here we are talking abt exports. So, several such issues were tested and fixed.

Working on domestic projects is a challenge , sometimes.

former_member182378
Active Contributor
0 Kudos
How would you solve an issue 
which the client is having only on Production Server.

did you conduct the tests in production server? how did it go? any key learnings? please share, as it shall help.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Your suggestion of using a dummy customer/matrl sounded good and I discussed this with the team. But due to several other factors and bandwidth we tested it on the production server by using Firefighter-login.

Basically we were taking a big risk(due to lack of data in QA), we ran the OTC in phases, we first executed VA01 but didn't save the Sales order, studied the system behavior, to my horror realized that there were some master data issues.

After setting right the master data issues with MDM (master data management team), we then executed VA01 but didn't save the Sales order again, after checking all the data flow, discrepancies and after fixing them, after complete satisfaction we saved the order. We repeated the same process for delivery and billing.

We had to take all this pain because the plant was registered/ made excisable recently. This was something new for me, and a bit crude / against conventional approach but we had no other option.

Thank you for your suggestion.

former_member182378
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

many thanks for sharing your experience!

conducting the tests in phases is a good idea!

what kind of master data was missing? what kind of discripancies did you face?

during testing of dlv, billing process did you encounter any issues?

newbie,

would you please answer the above questions, it would help. than you, in advance!

Edited by: Typewriter on Sep 10, 2011 9:43 AM

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Newbie,

Actually I consider myself a newbie as well..nice name!

and pls don't embarrass people by calling them undisputed king etc..:) am sure everybody is here to share and learn their experiences..same is with Lakshmipathi, except that he's contributed probably the most in this forum.

Anyway, coming to your question..which I saw only now.. yes debug in production without saving could be one of the option..which I guess you've already explored.

Regards,

Raghu.

former_member182378
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Raghu,

In the thread it has already - several times - been adviced to Newbie about the comment "Undisputed..." so there is no point in reiterating the same. I can understand Newbie's intention, it was just to honestly appreciate Lakshmipathi but maybe came out in not the best way

Former Member
0 Kudos

I used the word "undisputed", and I also said "Healthy Competition" my only point was that it's good to see others also contribute. Little did I know that it would snowball into such a wildfire.

My sincere apologies to all those who I have ACCIDENTALLY/ UNITENTIONALLY hurt. As I said, my only intention was to pat him (Lakshmipathi (see, I spelt ur name properly ).

Let's end it here, please spare me, coz I'm just a newbie .

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

The solution provided by TYPEWRITER is seems to be the perfect for your problem at present,but you cannot disturb the live business every time.what if your testing is lengthy in time.For feature issues you should ask the basis team to update the data in QA and DEV regularly SAP requires the three servers PRD,QA and DEV.Since client has paid to SAP for the licence of the servers also they paid to your company A and company B so both A and B are there to help client,finetune there business in terms for IT.As a consultant its your responsibility to tell your client that we need to update the data in QA and DEV regularly.Then client should ask company B to do there job and that is what the BASIS team's job is mainly.

Also your comment of UNDISPUTED KING is not relevant to the forum,every body has got his own job in SAP world,but still some people are able to give there valuable time to see the QUERIES and provide the solutions from there experience,which is again very valuable.So please don't pass these type of comments,although its only a knowledge sharing portal with some rules and regulations from its owners. There are plenty of experienced people in sap who are unable to give time to this forum,but if some body is giving time regularly we should apreciate him/her. Tommorow it could be somebody else,me or you or anybody else.

Thanks

Davinder

Edited by: davinderpalsingh on Sep 8, 2011 11:06 AM

Lakshmipathi
Active Contributor
0 Kudos
is there a restriction on how many questions one can post a day

There is no restriction but as long as it is not a basic question or repeated or interview type, it will not be locked Moreover, it is also easy to give solution if you post one query per thread.

Coming to your query

How would you solve an issue which the client is 
       having only on Production Server

ideally, quality client should be in line with production client if not development. In your case, if that is not the case, then you have to see that your basis team has transferred the production data to quality client.

Also on your last sentence,

undisputed king

your conclusion is wrong. I never felt like that and the fact is that other experts are not volunteering themselves as much as possible as I have been spending time and I am definitely happy that if someone is contributing more quality suggestions and stand first in the top contributors' list.

G. Lakshmipathi

ps:- I will be happy if my name is spelled correctly

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi

. You donot have the production data in QA or in any form/server.

-You can ask your BASIS to copy the data or client copy of production system if required.

Then You can do an test cycle.

YOU can also simulate the same in QA with the test data or sample as it is in PROD

regards

Prashanth

Former Member
0 Kudos

Nope, basis team despite repeated requests has not refreshed the QA or done client copy.

ok, what would you or some one do if you this option also is ruled out. See, we don't live/work in perfect worlds, and sometimes project support is provided Organization A and Basis support is provided by Organization B.

See basically, the project support team needs to solve a problem despite all these man made bottle necks. How?