Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

why BO Data services not SAP BI/BW

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi

I am new to BO DataServices

We have the sap BI/BW as a greate ETL and reporting tool but why we use this BO DataServices.

In both BI/BW and BO Data Services we can integrate data from SAP and Non-SAP data source then, why and where we use DataServices?

please give me some examples plz.

can any one guide me.

Thanks Bapin

Edited by: Bapin Tripathy on Sep 7, 2011 9:26 AM

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (3)

Answers (3)

Former Member
0 Kudos

hi bapin

Both BODS and BW/BI are ETL tools

SAP has acquired BUSINESS OBJECTS (I.e BODI and later it was changed to BODS by adding some features)

BO Is reporting tool

DS Is the ETL TOOL

Both are have there significance .Regarding the comparison between SAP BW and BODS both are ETL Tool but interms of usage and execution SAP BW is little complex Where as in BODS the ETL process is simple,And also the processing time is also less

hope this might be precise

thanks

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

The main reason behind using Data services is because you can transfer data from any source to any target. You simply need to create different data store in Data services and load your data.

But in case of BI/BW you can not push data from BI to any other external system, external applications will need there own connector to pull data from BI.

Regards,

Durgesh.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Bapin.

What is your source data ?

What is your reporting tool - for end users ?

And what exactly you want to see in reports ?

Which you feel is not already there ?

Regards

indu

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Indu

I have no problem working with data services.

My Doubt is not related to my project.

What are the draw backs are there in BI/BW so we go for data services?

It is a general question.

as i cant get it any where so i ask this.

Thanks

Bapin

Former Member
0 Kudos

In my opinion. It is a choice.

BODS : It is an ETL tool with great flexibility

to communicate with SAP and NON-SAP systems

And if you think you have that many user licences world-wide for BW.. AND if you feel, it gives you all that you want.

Then dont use ETL tool of BODS.

Cheers

indu

mohan_salla
Participant
0 Kudos

Hi,

Data Services provides data integration and data quality processes in one runtime environment, delivering enterprise performance and scalability.

The data integration processes of SAP BusinessObjects Data Services allow organizations to easily explore, extract, transform, and deliver any type of data anywhere across the enterprise.

The data quality processes of SAP BusinessObjects Data Services allow organizations to easily standardize, cleanse, and consolidate data anywhere, ensuring that end users are always working with information that's readily available, accurate, and trusted.

DS Performance is High if you compare with SAP BW(BI).

Please let me know if any.

Cheers

Mohan

Former Member
0 Kudos

And there are whole lot of flexibility an ETL tool gives.

Whether it is BODS or Informatica. or any other tool.

And you could understand that by going thro the tutorials.

Atleast broad understanding about the features available.

Rather than just saying in 2 lines.. you could yourself go through and understand.

But why to use a ETL tool ... is something.. you need to figure out.. yourself.

Cheers

Edited by: Indumathy Narayanan on Sep 8, 2011 10:31 PM

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Mohan

As you told that "DS Performance is High if you compare with SAP BW(BI)."

can you give some examples

Thanks

Bapin

mohan_salla
Participant
0 Kudos

Data Services uses processes and threads to execute jobs that extract data from sources, transform the data, and load data into a data warehouse. The number of concurrently executing processes and threads affects the performance of Data Services jobs.

Moreover, SAP BusinessObjects Data Services is designed to maximize the use of CPUs and memory available to run the job.

I hope my answer will clarify your question.

Regards