cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Lodsapkrn - patching Solution Manager 7.1

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello Experts,

Need some help here. I am trying to understand changes in the method for kernel patching in solution manager 7.1 which seems to have changed from method for netweaver 7.0

1. LODSAPKRN. This command is obsolete. System indicated to use APYSIDKRN instead. How do these 2 command differ?

2. With LODSAPKRN, we used to specify 1 kernel library (SAPSIDUC) to be updated with the SAPEXE and SAPEXEDB that are specified in the parts file. However, kernel library is now split into 2 libraries; SAPSIDM#00 and SAPSIDIND. Do we run the APDSIDKRN separately, once for SAPEXE to patch SAPSIDIND and the other for SAPEXEDB to patch SAPSIDM#00? Is this correct?

Thank you folks.

Best Regards,

Wi

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

0 Kudos

Hello Wi,

as Volker already mentioned the SAP Kernel handling on IBM i has significantly changed with the introduction of the SAP Kernels 7.10 and even more with SAP Kernel 7.20. Hereu2019s a short list of the enhancements from customer perspective:

1) Beginning with SAP Kernel 7.10 the kernel is maintained u201Cas oneu201D through APYSIDKRN. Creating/Patching the kernel library with LODSAPKRN/APYR3FIX and adjusting the kernel directory with APYSAP afterwards is history. This single integrated kernel administration command simplifies kernel administration and reduces the possibility of kernel library/directory inconsistencies to nearly zero.

2) Beginning with SAP Kernel 7.10 the kernel administration can happen while the system is up u2013 the new kernel will be distributed and activated at system restart (keywords: DIR_CT_RUN, sapcpe). This is default for SAP NetWeaver 7.10 and higher and optional for SAP NetWeaver before 7.10, SAP Solution Manager 7.1 and SAP Business Suite Solutions based on SAP NetWeaver 7.0 when using the SAP Kernel 7.20. This new feature reduces the downtime for consistent SAP Kernel maintenance.

3) Beginning with SAP Kernel 7.20 the shared kernel library usage has been significantly reduced (O4PRTLIB, OS4APILIB) and the SAP initial program (R3INLPGM) has been simplified. This increases the overall kernel and tools consistency since patching these resources for process X does not longer affect a well-working process Y.

I am about to prepare a short presentation on this topic to shed some more light into this. I will post the link to it here when it is available.

Best Regards, Christian Hölters, SAP on IBM i development.

Answers (3)

Answers (3)

0 Kudos

Hi Wi,

the presentation is available as SCN article now, please refer to http://www.sdn.sap.com/irj/scn/index?rid=/library/uuid/502aede3-d8c0-2e10-4098-81afbd907a18. It will also be referred to from our SCN homepage for SAP on IBM i () soon.

Best Regards, Christian Hölters, SAP on IBM i Development.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Christian,

Thank you very much for taking your time to explain the changes. Great work!!

Best Regards,

Wi

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Volker, Christian,

Thank you very much for the detailed explanation and references. I am going through them now. From the look of it, APYSIDKRN removes the manual fall-back steps of backing and patching of the backed up kernel library before applying. Nice improvement.

Look forward to the presentation link.

Best Regards,

Wi

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Wi,

unfortunately, I have to tell you, that more or less everything has changed from 7.01 to 7.02 (in your case from 7.00 to 7.10 ;-(((

The "original" of the kernel is no longer in a lib, but in the IFS and the lib is "!just created" based on the IFS kernel ...

You might want to check several notes in order to get an overview ...

Note 1097637 - IBM i: Copying an SAP kernel (710++)

Note 1097751 - iSeries: Info & recommendations for kernel libraries (710++)

Note 1031096 - Installing Package SAPHOSTAGENT

and perhaps these ones:

Note 1499408 - IBM i: Installation Fails Due to Incomplete Kernel Update

Note 1509893 - IBM i: Logon impossible - Menu library missing

Note 1045022 - Job hangs and job log states: CLASSICUSERCONCEPT not set

Note 1123501 - System i: Operating system user for SAP on System i

Regards

Volker Gueldenpfennig, consolut international ag

http://www.consolut.com http://www.4soi.de http://www.easymarketplace.de