cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is SAP with Oracle database preffered on Unix or Windows OS platform ?

0 Kudos

Dear Experts,

What is the approach methodolgy for deciding OS platform to go for SAP implementation with Oracle as database?

We are planning for ECC 6.0 Ehp5 implementation.

Is it preffered to choose Windows or UNIX as OS platform and why?

If UNIX, then which OS is the most preffered and why?

Recommendations with supporting SAP docs/Notes is appreciated.

With Regards,

Momin

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (6)

Answers (6)

audunlea_hansen
Active Participant
0 Kudos

We ported our installation from Windows til RedHat Linux.

Why: As other have mentioned, Linux are prefered devepol platform for Oracle. Linux doesn't need restart of the system all the time when you got updates from OS-vendor. It is possible with good HA solutions.

Windows has never been good for multitasking the way Oracle needs it. It works, but not that good.

At my location we've got pretty good knowledge around unix/linux and windows. We use linux for most of server solutions and windows as office platform (Some can't work without the Start-button...)

Regards

Audun

former_member204746
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Basically, Windows cost less than most Unix installations. They are easier to maintain for most companies.

But Windows is not the best solution for everyone.

Does your company have better knowledge on Windows or Unix?

Why Oracle? it is one of the most expensive database.

why not SQL server? DB2? or even MaxDB?

0 Kudos

Dear All,

Thanks for the inputs you shared.

You can assume the server sizing as 2300 SAPS CPU Cat. S DB Disk Cat. M.

Request you to kindly empasis on performance and stability aspect and license cost apsect.

What difference would it cost in opting for the different OS.

Any refence to a standard documentation consolidating the differences due to the OS platform is very much apprecited.

I'm much worried about the vulnerability of the Windows platform in comparison to UNIX .

I feel in caseDatabase space management /addition storage,it is easier in UNIX file system than that of in Windows.

I am not sure that addition of disk space in Windows requires a downtime or not.Pls enlighten.

As Windows is GUI and UNIX is CUI ,i guess the security is better in UNIX paltform than Windows.

But with recent emerge of Windows 2008 R2 i am not secure how stable,secure and better performance is it delivering in comparison with UNIX.

Regards the statement that about the customers know-how , it is insignificant in decision making when it costs to business impacts and downtime considerations.

In UNIX ,it is quite a know fact that the daily database consistent backup can be taken daily by means of OS based storage based replictaion method without a downtime in case of UNIX.

I am not sure about the possibility of the same in Windows environment.

I sincerely appreciate your response but need some more light to serve me taking a decison in client convincement.

Request you to extend your advice with some.

Kindest Regards,

Momin

markus_doehr2
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

> Request you to kindly empasis on performance and stability aspect and license cost apsect.

> What difference would it cost in opting for the different OS.

Nobody will be able to comment on that since license costs of OS are a matter of negotiation and already existing contracts.

> Any refence to a standard documentation consolidating the differences due to the OS platform is very much apprecited.

I would say that 50 % of the SAP systems are on Windows, there was a statistics available but it is no more.

> I'm much worried about the vulnerability of the Windows platform in comparison to UNIX .

So you can either install the patches on every patch day - or use the local firewall - or another one between your network and the SAP system to avoid any compromises.

> I feel in caseDatabase space management /addition storage,it is easier in UNIX file system than that of in Windows.

> I am not sure that addition of disk space in Windows requires a downtime or not.Pls enlighten.

You can do this online.

> As Windows is GUI and UNIX is CUI ,i guess the security is better in UNIX paltform than Windows.

Well - that's a guess, not more.

> But with recent emerge of Windows 2008 R2 i am not secure how stable,secure and better performance is it delivering in comparison with UNIX.

What is "better performance"? If you compare Linux and Windows on the same hardware they will "perform identically".

> Regards the statement that about the customers know-how , it is insignificant in decision making when it costs to business impacts and downtime considerations.

If the customers IT doesn't know how to handle the OS and cause downtimes because of that, it is certainly NOT insignificant.

> In UNIX ,it is quite a know fact that the daily database consistent backup can be taken daily by means of OS based storage based replictaion method without a downtime in case of UNIX.

> I am not sure about the possibility of the same in Windows environment.

Windows has other mechanisms and technologies to do the same - in a different way though.

Markus

stefan_koehler
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hello Momin,

Is it preffered to choose Windows or UNIX as OS platform and why?

The first question that i ask my customers - on which platform do you have internal know-how?

In my opinion it makes no sense to suggest a platform, that the customer don't know and is not willing / able to gain knowledge.

If UNIX, then which OS is the most preffered and why?

My personal opionion and experience for Oracle or SAP - run both systems on Linux. Why?

- Linux is the primary development platform for Oracle and SAP

- Nowadays it is stable like AIX and the performance is like the same or even better in some cases

- You will get patches for your applicaton much faster on Linux (for example interim patches)

- Some features are only supported on Linux in combination with both applications (like using Huge Pages on DB and application server at the same time, etc.)

If you choose Red Hat Enteripise Linux, SuSE Enterprise Linux or Oracle Enterprise Linux depdens on your location, environment and license agreements.

You can also decide to use the "classic old fashion" Unix systems, but in the last 2 years i really suggest to use Linux more and more.

@Orkun: Using Oracle Exadata for a new ECC 6.0 system? It's like to take a sledgehammer to crack a nut.

Regards

Stefan

Former Member
0 Kudos

HiStefan,

>> Orkun: Using Oracle Exadata for a new ECC 6.0 system? It's like to take a sledgehammer to crack a nut.

Which one is sledgehammer? Exadata or ECC 6.0? I don't think that ECC 6.0 is small for a Exadata. As I noted in my message, we need to perform a sizing project before the suggestion. You never figure out how the database will grow. For example, the database size may became a huge database because of the integration with the legacy systems and integrations. Please read my previous statement;

>> As I noted at the beginning of the message, we need to perform a sizing project at your site, in order to answer this question.

Best regards,

Orkun Gedik

stefan_koehler
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hello Orkun,

Which one is sledgehammer? Exadata or ECC 6.0? I don't think that ECC 6.0 is small for a Exadata.

Oracle Exadata is the sledgehammer in that scenario of course. We are running a "large" SAP ECC 6.0 with 4 TB database and 4.300 concurrent users on a p570 with 80 GB memory and round about 6 CPUs for DB server. This system has an average dialog repsonse time of round about 630 ms. This system was installed in 2001 - for sure there are also other systems which are growing faster - but to buy an Exadata (calculated on a 3 - 5 year period) for a starter system is just oversized in my opinion.

Regards

Stefan

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Stefan,

You never figure out what kind of system you need, before the sizing. Believe me that I faced many scenarios on ECC 6, integrated with the legacy system started with 2 TB database. Because of this, I said that I need to perform a sizing project before the recommendation. Of course, exadata is too much for the initial ECC 6.0 and normal growing system.

I am not trying to increase popularity of Exadata, here of course all the customer requirements need to be evaluated under its own conditions. I just gave a technical suggestion. I didn't suggested only exadata, here

The first statement is ">> We are planning for ECC 6.0 Ehp5 implementation." which is so generic. So, I said we need sizing first.

Best regards,

Orkun Gedik

Former Member
0 Kudos

Dear Experts,

>

> What is the approach methodolgy for deciding OS platform to go for SAP implementation with Oracle as database?

> We are planning for ECC 6.0 Ehp5 implementation.

> Is it preffered to choose Windows or UNIX as OS platform and why?

> If UNIX, then which OS is the most preffered and why?

> Recommendations with supporting SAP docs/Notes is appreciated.

>

> With Regards,

> Momin

Hi Momin,

This is so generic question. We need to evaluate many variables in order to answer this question.

At the first stage, I suggest you run on Windows platform, because of administration and maintenance costs. Take into account that, if you don't install and deploy unnecessary applications and keep server security high, Windows will be more feasible solution for the mid-range SAP systems.

But, if you say that your system should be stable and it is a huge system, I can recommend you run on AIX or Oracle Exadata Database Machine.

On the other hand, it is more easy to find Windows systems admin rather than a Unix system admin.

If you take a look at hardware resources and performance perspective, nowadays, windows based systems are close to the unix based systems.

As I noted at the beginning of the message, we need to perform a sizing project at your site, in order to answer this question.

Best regards,

Orkun Gedik

Edited by: Orkun Gedik on Sep 6, 2011 11:11 AM

markus_doehr2
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Just to throw in my u20AC 0.02:

> At the first stage, I suggest you run on Windows platform, because of administration and maintenance costs.

I don't think that is true. If you read through the forums you'll see that so many people have (basic) problems and misunderstandings about how the SAP application is implemented and what works and what not. On all *NIX platforms I know the implementations are much more straightforward.

The alleged "easyness" of Windows is payed with "reboot-to-solve-the-problem". I'm not really sure that's something customers want

Markus

Former Member
0 Kudos

>> I don't think that is true. If you read through the forums you'll see that so many people have (basic) problems and misunderstandings about how the SAP application is implemented and what works and what not. On all *NIX platforms I know the implementations are much more straightforward.

In the forums, most of the people are discussing about basic problems on the SAP application. But, it is open that most of the works such as adding storage, patch management, cluster installation and maintenance, etc.. is easier than Unix or Linux platforms. Because of the maintenance and administrative cost reasons, most of my customers are migrating systems *nix to Windows.

If you compare the hardware resources with a Unix and Windows system with the same benchmarks, it is open that the windows cost is lower than unix system.

>> The alleged "easyness" of Windows is payed with "reboot-to-solve-the-problem". I'm not really sure that's something customers want

I disagree with this statement, because if you don't install unnecessary applications and keep the server clean, why the system crashes? For example a memory or DMA problem? Believe me that there's something same at Unix with "panic" error

Best regards,

Orkun Gedik

Edited by: Orkun Gedik on Sep 6, 2011 12:42 PM

0 Kudos

Request the users to kindly give reasons supporting to their reply.

Atleast few points like on the below perspective.

1. Oracle performance and DB Management

2. SAP Performance

3. SAP License Cost implcations

4. HA Cluster Advantage

5. Advantage /Disadvantage w.r.t. PAM

6. Other Services

Supporting SAP Doc /SNote is highly appreciated .

Regards

Momin

Former Member
0 Kudos

My preference has always been Unix - AIX !