cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Oracle patching on Dataguard Environment

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

I have to do oracle patching on my customer system having Dataguard environment.

Can someone please guide me, if i have to run installer on both primary and standby server or not ?

Is someone has done it in past, please share your experience.

Thanks,

Kanchan

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

Former Member

Thanks. And is the sql statement mentioned above to disable the log shipping correct ?

Former Member
0 Kudos

Absolutely Correct !

Answers (4)

Answers (4)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thanks Everyone for sharing your knowledge.. Will be doing activity this weekend i guess, will let you know how it goes..

Former Member
0 Kudos

In Readme they have just mentioned to refer oracle note 278641.1. When i checked that note, it says

1. In the primary disable log shipping to the standby site.

2. Shutdown the standby site and apply interim patchsets to the RDBMS binaries as per the README. This includes Patchset/Patchset Update (PSU)/Critical Patch Update (CPU). You will not be able to and do not need to run the scripts (catpatch.sql etc) against the standby rdbms itself.

3. Shutdown the primary site, apply the Patchset/PSU/CPU patch to the RDBMS binaries and patch the RDBMS itself using the instructions in the README (run catpatch/catbundle/catcpu etc).

4. Start the primary site, re-enable log shipping to the standby.

5. At the standby site restart redo apply/managed recovery and the RDBMS changes implemented in the Primary Site through catpatch/catbundle/catcpu will also be applied to the standby.

Information about Bundle patch is clear. But Applying patchset is not clear.

Do we need to run catupgrd.sql script on standby after patchset installtion ? or that will also be shipped through logs ?

and if below command is right for disabling the Log shipping from primary ?

SQL> alter system set log_archive_dest_state_2=defer scope=both sid='*'

Former Member
0 Kudos

Do we need to run catupgrd.sql script on standby after patchset installtion ? - No

or that will also be shipped through logs ? - Yes

Seems clear from the points 2 and 5

And what is not clear in applying PatchSet ?

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thanks Sunny... Can you please explain a little in detail if you have done in past. Like do we need to execute the upgrade scripts n all.

Thanks again.

JPReyes
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Can you please explain a little in detail if you have done in past. Like do we need to execute the upgrade scripts n all

Certainly, details are on the readme file.

Regards

Juan

sunny_pahuja2
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi,

Yes, you need to apply patch manually on the DR site as well.

Thanks

Sunny