Application Development Discussions
Join the discussions or start your own on all things application development, including tools and APIs, programming models, and keeping your skills sharp.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Error code 0243

Former Member
0 Kudos

Dear Experts ,

While transporting one TR to Prod from Qty , system is giving one error msg something like "Unknown character format detected " and error code is showing - 243 .

Please let me know what is the exact issue , i mean when this kind of situation arise and is the issue from ABAP end or there is any BASIS related issues.

Thanks in advance.

A Miter.

8 REPLIES 8

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

Are you able to get the detailed information from long text of the transport log? Please check for the object which is causing the problem.

SAP says that if the error code is 0012 or higher (243) A critical error has occurred, probably not caused by the contents of the request. You must inform your system administrator.

http://help.sap.com/erp2005_ehp_04/helpdata/EN/57/38e26c4eb711d182bf0000e829fbfe/content.

I got this detail from blog.

tp finished with return code: 243

meaning:

transport in buffer too long or unknown format detected

Solution:

The buffer file is stored in /usr/sap/trans/buffer/<SID>

rename the file to .old and again add the trainsport

request to buffer.

Shiva

deepak_dhamat
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi ,

Error:

SAP STMS Buffer Error

TOOLS: Highest return code of single steps was: 16

ERRORS: Highest tp internal error was: 0243

tp finished with return code: 243

meaning:

transport in buffer too long or unknown format detected

Solution:

The buffer file is stored in /usr/sap/trans/buffer/<SID>

rename the file to .old and again add the trainsport

request to buffer.

regards

Deepak.

0 Kudos

Hi ,

ALso check whether you Transport Group is correct ...

Take Help From Your BASIS TEAM

regards

Deepak.

Edited by: Deepak Dhamat on Sep 3, 2011 6:45 AM

0 Kudos

Hello Deepak and Shiva ,

Thanks for your kind reply.

I had informed to BASIS Team .

Just wanted to know what is the root cause of that kind of issue? Is it from ABAP end or BASIS end?

Thanks.

A Miter.

0 Kudos

Hi ,

Check this SNOTE :- Note 89625 - tp reports 'ERROR: TA in buffer too long'

regards

Deepak.

0 Kudos

Hi arit,

to ask this question, you may have posted the objects in the request. Such things may happen when you make changes to field types in table i.e. changing field from character to numeric type. System will try to adapt the table and keep the contents: Any existing character values can not be put in numeric type fields. This is just one of 1000 possible errors.

Regards

Clemens

Sandra_Rossi
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi,

243 is explained here : [Note 89625 - tp reports 'ERROR: TA in buffer too long'|http://service.sap.com/sap/support/notes/89625]

Note: [SAP library - tp Return Codes|http://help.sap.com/saphelp_nw70/helpdata/en/3a/58c2e9f47611d184850000e8a57770/frameset.htm] explains to use tp explainrc 243 command to get the error text : "transport in buffer too long or unknown format detected"

Sandra

0 Kudos

Dear all ,

Thanks for your valuable replies .

Now the problem sorted out but we are facing a new challenge that is we can not see all the TR in Production import queue . Previously there were more than 1500 TR in Prod import queue ( by using STMS in prod) but now it is showing 0 in import queue.

Please advise how to resolve this problem.

Thanks in advance.

A Miter.