cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Spools - number of pages limit

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi SAP experts,

I would like to know if SAP has a limit on the number of pages that can be displayed before the system errors out with a dump "TSV_TNEW_PAGE_ALLOC_FAILED".

I want to be able to tell to production endusers that in SAP they cannot just view in 11,600 pages from a spool generated by report RFITEMGL (FBL3N) and complain that the system has not enough memory.

Our level 1 support has already advised them to limit their selection criteria to avoid such errors but the endusers insist that the amount of data they were processing should not have any issues.

Anyway, thanks in advance for your help.

Best regards,

Kris Caldoza

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

former_member204746
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

this limit is based on how much memory you have and how you have set SAP profile parameters.

It is impossible for us to tell you what limit of page for this report on your system.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thanks Eric,

I believe most of the SAP parameters (memory related or otherwise) in the system have been optimized.

What SAP parameters can I look at and investigate if they could be improved?

former_member204746
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

it depends on your SAP/OS/DB versions.

Answers (1)

Answers (1)

markus_doehr2
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

> Our level 1 support has already advised them to limit their selection criteria to avoid such errors but the endusers insist that the amount of data they were processing should not have any issues.

I have the same discussion over and over again.

I would ask the user,what he plans to do with 11,000+ pages.

Usually users are "lazy", the don't want to think about what they really need but download all and then use another tool (like Excel) to filter exactly the data they need.

There are, of course, exceptions, when the data is really neeed. In that case I would temporarily reconfigure the system using the report RSMEMORY, let the user execute and download the data and set it back.

You'll have to change abap/heap_area_dia to a higher value. Keep in mind that the system needs to have the memory available, otherwise the server starts swapping and tears down all the other users too.

Markus