cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

perfromance volume testing of database layer

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi, Colleagues.

I am looking for a way to test performance of database layer for SAP ERP and BW. Standard benchmars are not suitable for my case, because they load application layer (3 tier) much more than database and it doesn't make any sense to run them as proof of good Oracle database performance. Can anyone advise any tools, methodology to make such DATABASE layer perfromance test?

Any thoughts highly appreciated!

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

stefan_koehler
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hello,

Oracle itself is providing a load tracking and replay tool as Oracle Enterprise Option - called "Real Application Testing". You are able to capture and replay the load directly on the database layer.

Documentation: http://download.oracle.com/docs/cd/E11882_01/server.112/e16540/dbr_intro.htm#RATUG104

I also wrote a blog about a that topic (but focused on the SQL Performance Analyzer only) some time ago:

/people/stefan.koehler/blog/2009/02/09/oracle-real-application-testing-with-sap

Regards

Stefan

Answers (3)

Answers (3)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Good to know there is no special semulation tool. Exadata guys did use Loadruner and Control-M as far as i remember, haven't heard they used RAT. Anyway, thanks for your quick reply and useful comments.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Let me try to explain it more clearly... we are offering to our customer some hardware for database layer of SAP. Customer wants to see real improvements from using this hardware for Oracle database with his case and wants us to develope for him test plan to test his application with given hardware. So, I am looking for some tools to test database from application side. My research showed that using SAP standard benchmarks is not applicable to my case, because it loads app server 99% and only 1% for database. We don't have powerful enough app server in our data center (current app server is m9000). I'm guessing that some tools should be in SAP app to verify all nodes of infrustructure. Hope now my explanation is more clear...sorry if confusing you.

Edited by: Mojo_RU on Sep 2, 2011 1:43 PM

stefan_koehler
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hello,

we are offering to our customer some hardware for database layer of SAP. Customer wants to see real improvements from using this hardware for Oracle database with his case and wants us to develope for him test plan to test his application with given hardware.

Perfect case for RAT - the customer should capture its workload for round about a few hours and send it to you. You can build up the database server (with a phyiscal copy of the customers database) and run the load against it. Afterwards you can create the diff reports and cleary show your customer the benefit of the new hardware.

RAT is also used for PoC simulations with Oracle Exadata - the same scenario like yours. There are no tools inside SAP for such load simulations.

Regards

Stefan

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thanks for answer, Stefan. Yes, RAT is only one thing i was thinking. Using it is very benefitial as for test we don't need real SAP infrastructure. But the drawback is visibility for customer real things they do in real work and its measurment to determine success criteria. So, I am looking for something SAP application oriented still. What SAP people use to test systems performnace before pass infrastructure to production? Isn't there some internal tools in SAP Netweaver?

Your blog info looks VERY useful for me anyway! Thank you!

stefan_koehler
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hello,

i am a little bit confused right now. You asked for a product / software to test the database layer. If you want to test the database layer on performance - RAT is what you are searching for. Capture a real work load of your productive system or just a single transaction and replay it against your test/quality environment.

What are you exactly searching for?

Regards

Stefan