cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Database logs

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi everyone, I have recently installed an SAP ERP EHP4 on my server and I have a question

How much space needs the database logs? I assigned them a 20gb hard drive, but should I assign them more disk space? How much will it grow?

Thanks for your answers and sorry my bad english

greetings from Mexico!

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

markus_doehr2
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

> How much space needs the database logs? I assigned them a 20gb hard drive, but should I assign them more disk space? How much will it grow?

This depends on how much you do with the system and what you do, how many users are using the system etc. Usually the size of that is estimated by the hardware vendor.

Markus

Former Member
0 Kudos

Obviously, as Markus explained, this depends a lot on the activity of your system... and also on how often do you back up the transaction log !!

Take into account that each time you backup TLOG, it is truncated to the position of the first running transaction, so you should backup a productive system every hour or even more frequently; in case of problems, you should check note 421644 to identify if there are long-running transactions, that could indicate a bad coding in a report, etc.

I would say that 20 GB is not really large (imagine that you want to copy a client, export some tables or even create an index on a very large table, etc.)... but again, it depends on your planned activity, the size of your tables, the fact that you periodically archive old data, the frequency of your TLOG backups...

If you do not really know in advance, I would suggest a larger disk, or you can just be prepared to temporarily define an additional TLOG in another (larger) disk when you need to perform expensive operations (check points b and d in section C of SAP note 363018).

Cheers!!

--Jesús

Edited by: Jesus Garcia Castro on Sep 2, 2011 9:50 AM

Answers (2)

Answers (2)

Former Member
0 Kudos

HI,

Much better if you increase the size of your harddisk, since datalogs are increasing andfor future storage.

Harddisk nowadays are not so expensive.

Thanks.

Clint

Former Member
0 Kudos

Sirkam,

As Markus indicates, the size can be affected by a lot of different variables. However, for guidance, we have about 150 users, and I find that the translog size of 1.5 GB is generally OK in normal operation. However, we have a very robust backup scheme, and there have been times when this was interrupted and the log grew very quickly to sizes well over 20 GB. You may well find that the size you have allocated is not quite enough.

We also found that when we conducted a system copy from production to test (so that we had a decent set of data to test against) the translog grew to almost 200 GB. I have heard from others that report sizes even larger than that.

Regards

Tony