Archived discussions are read-only. Learn more about SAP Q&A

When will SAP Java AS for EE 6 see the light?

Hi all,

As far as I know, SAP's bleeding edge AS (NW73 AS) is based on EE5.

As several java AS vendors are releasing EE6 compliant products, I would like to know whether any deadline has been set for SAP's EE6 app server release.

Thanks in advance

regards

Vincenzo

• SAP Employee
  • SAP Employee
replied

Hi Rolf,

just to add some clarification:

You are right: NetWeaver Composition Environment 7.1 adopted the Java EE 5 standard already.

The first full NetWeaver release, however, (including Portal, Business Warehouse, BPM/CE etc) to adopt Java EE5 was NetWeaver 7.3. But I think that's now history.

Regarding the Java EE 6 related statements so far: They were not optimally coined I agree. At that time we looked into an on premise deployment option for the java stack which we used in on demand environments. However, this approach brings in a lot of other unsolved issues meaning we dropped the plan. We did not pursue the plan to enable our classical on premise AS Java stack for EE6 after we changed our Java approach (more open source, less classical SAP infrastructure).

Btw our initial approach to manage Java applications similar to ABAP in terms of repository, central build and lifecycle management etc was requested by key SAP customers ("We can only run Java applications like Portal and CE productively if they are managed like traditional SAP applications"). This mindset has changed in the meantime as we all know.

Rolf, I can follow your feedback. I mean we already had joint telcos with you and the PI/BPM folks at SAP. But let us try to look ahead and work on continuous improvements.

Regards

Karl

0 View this answer in context
Not what you were looking for? View more on this topic or Ask a question