cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Assessment if SNP can replace the current home grown Java application

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello,

I am currently in a project where they have been using a Java application to get there supply plan and i am here to assess if SNP can replace that.

Couple of pointers

One cannot predict what the final product is until the product reaches the testing phase in its life cycle. So hard to plan for a specific line of product. The complexity multiples because there are several 100s of products and there are several 100s of raw materials.

For Ex: Say ROH X1 can make FERT F1,F2,F3..F80

F(n) can be made with any of X(1-80) so there are multiple combinations and we can know the product only after some testing when 95 % of product making cost is utilized. Demand for F1- F80 is also highly volatile.

The demand signal which currently goes into Custom Java is from APO DP but they are not able to get a proper signal because there is no proper data available from past. So lot of manual tweaking is taking place while solving for supply plan.

MRP run happens outside SAP within Java application.

Any inputs on how to attack the problem or any input which might put me in the right direction would be really appreciated.

Thank you,

ST

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (1)

Answers (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

ST,

I think you need to find out a whole lot more. Most importantly you didn't state the business requirements.

If the business wishes to replace the current Java app, and nothing else (that seems to be the question in your Subject), then you first have to determine exactly what the current Java App does. Generically, SNP can perform common planning tasks; and as long as the current Java app is not too weird, I would suspect that the current app could be replaced by SNP.

You also mention some of the pain points of the current business processes, yet you haven't stated that the business wishes to change/improve these business processes. If this is the case, then you need to get more detail of what the business expects from SNP.

Generically in SAP, and in all non-SAP ERP systems, there are ways to manage volatile FGs demand while achieving a relatively stable lower level production and purchasing plan. Some of the problems are are best solved in the OLTP, some are best solved in the Demand Planning solution, and some are best solved in the Supply Planning Solution (which includes SNP). As I stated before, SNP has all common supply planning functionalities, so whatever the solution is, SNP can proably be a part of it. The solution(s) though, depend entirely on the detailed business requirements.

I think your first step should be to perform the requirements gathering step of your project, and produce a complete and detailed 'As-is' document. Afterward, or even concurrently, you need to get an intimate knowledge of the business' expectations after the solution is in place. When these two tasks are completed, you can then use your expert knowledge of APO planning to determine if SNP should be included in the solution.

If you have never done an APO SNP implementation before similar to this one, then I strongly advise that you consult with your team lead about next steps. If you are alone, or if you are not a consultant, you need to think about engaging additional expert resources who have some experience in this area. Most companies find that it is money well spent to hire the most expert resources available for such implementations. The duration of the project is shortened, and the solution will be a better fit with the actual business requiremen, than would be a solution created by a novice.

Best Regards, & good luck,

DB49