cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What should a SAP Basis guy should know to administer BI/BW system.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi All,

I am a SAP Basis guy working form ECC, SRM. But i need to know as a SAP Basis guy if i need to administer and monitor SAP BW/SAP BW system what are the things i should know? Is there any difference from administer sap ecc?

I am asking this because lot of time people ask me have you work in BI/BW system. So need to know the activities which i should know from basis perspective to administer BW/BI system.

Please advice.

Thanks

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (2)

Answers (2)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Deepak,

You should know at least what OLAP systems are about, also the specifics they impose on the database side comparing to the OLTP systems. I do not think there are other huge differences since you are administering SAP Netweaver system above all. If you are to manage or monitor data load into BI then you should know Data Warehousing basics (e.g. process chains, infopackages, psa/cubes, etc.) - BW305 course provide all this, if I am not mistaken.

Thanks,

Igor

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

Thanks for the reply guys but where i will get those guides? Can you please provide some link. I do have oss user-id.

Also is it possible for you to give me some activities which are required for SAP BW/BI administration from Basis perspective.

Thanks

JPReyes
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Those manuals are copywrited material only available to you when taking those courses.

Regards

Juan

former_member198270
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Dear Deepak,

Also is it possible for you to give me some activities which are required for SAP BW/BI administration from Basis perspective. - To Answer this I would say that you should know how to connect your ERP or R/3 or SRM to your BW systems

-Source system creation, activate and replicate data sources

-If your customer is using precalculation service then how to start stop the precalcualtion server.

-If business Objects functionality is used then how to check/troubleshoot BOBJ.

Initially as a basis admin day to day tcodes used are rsprecadmin, RSA1 which are specific to BW system.

Hope it helps.

Regards, Amber S | A

former_member204746
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

There are minor differences. I would personally go get training with SPA course BW205 that would give you an idea on how BW works.