cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Data Migration: Maximum number of records

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi

i have been asked a question about maximum volumes of data that can be migrated comfortably into the system at any given point.

an example is that we are due to go live in december with around 30,000 suppliers and 20,000 materials, however we have a subsequent roll out of an additional 100,000 suppliers and 60,000 materials March next year. we are not in a position to migrate all the data in one go, due to the complexity of legacy systems.

personally i do not see these as large volumes having worked on ECC projects where we have migrated millions of line items...

i am unsure of the production hardware but i will have trial cutover/pre-production system to test.

are there limitations in SAP Sourcing 7.0. does anyone have any suggestions/recommendations around this?

Or is this not an issue?

i would like to reassure the client, but this is my first migration project with Sourcing (and 3 previous with SAP ECC).

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (1)

Answers (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Barry

How are you planning to migrate the data?

I have done migration previously by scheduling a job that would import materials and vendors by picking flat file from FTP server and importing to e sourcing via import functionality. One key constraint we faced is the size of the flat (.csv) file. There is a upper limit on the number of records that can be imported at one go (I think it is 15000 records per file).

Because of this limitation we had to put delimiter on our legacy system to provide 15,000 records at a time.

May be experts on forum can further share their experiences.

Regards

Mudit Saini

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thank you for your valuable input.

i had already heard a figure of around 20k records, so wanted this validated.

we will be doing some via standard integration so my extract program to push MATMAS05 is limited to 9999 anyway as the iDoc has this limitation. This is the major issue we had (as we had 3.5 million materials to migrate) so i came up with a "on-demand" coding solution...

I was concerned about sending an additional 60k+ records into a database with 20k+ records already being used in a productive environment.

if anyone else has feedback/experiences, it would be gratefully received....