cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Distribution of SAP System Components to Disks

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi everyone! I'm planning an SAP ERP EHP4 installation and I would like to know which is the best distribution for the files

i.e.

Which unit should I choose to install

*SAP System

*DBMS

*SAP Database

*SAP Database transaction log

Should I install all of them on unit C:?

Should I configure RAID 1 or RAID 5?

Thanks for your help

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Martha,

Don't install any component on drive c except OS.

I suggest you install SAP and RDMBS binaries on a separated drive (d:). For the performance reasons, put the transaction logs to another drive (e:) and another one for the datafiles (f:)

C, d and e drives should be RAID1. Drive f should be RAID5

Additionally, I recommend you to put the swap memory to a different drive, also.

Best regards,

Orkun Gedik

Answers (2)

Answers (2)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Martha!

You already got great answers from Orkun and Tony. However you can find all that information also in the installation guides issued by SAP corresponding to your particular release.

Assuming that you are going to install SAP ERP 6.0, EHP4 Ready (i.e., based on SAP NetWeaver 7.0 including EHP1) only ABAP on a Windows and MS SQL Server platform, you can check section 2.5 ("Distribution of SAP System Components to Disks") of the Installation Guide. Even in page 30 there is a nice picture in which you will see in a very detailed and intuitive way the recommended distribution. In case that the release/platform is different, please check the corresponding guide (the pages will change, obviously).

Cheers!!

--Jesú

Former Member
0 Kudos

thanks everybody!

Former Member
0 Kudos

Martha,

It will depend a bit on what hardware resources are available; but I would also suggest that OS should be on drive C (raid 1) on it's own. I would also suggest that the paging file should be on it's own drive as well (also raid 1).

The SAP program, DB files, translog and tempdb should each be on separate drives if you can. The actual drive letters are not relevant. From experience, the DB files and translog are the two elements that are most in need of their own drives.

Raid 1 is used primarily for protection - you have 2 drives, so if one dies, you can replace without losing the data. However, the data is only on one drive (the other is a mirror so there is no increase in performance)

Raid 5 provides protection, but also provides the extra performance. This is because the work is spread across more than one physical drive.

Regards

Tony