cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

SAP Netweaver 7.3 Message Server hostname issue (physical <> virtual)

TomCenens
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Dears

Did anyone experience issues after a AS Java based SAP Netweaver 7.3 installation that the virtual hostname is not usable to access the AS Java? The installation was performed using SAPINST_USE_HOSTNAME and all configuration parameters are pointing to the virtual hostname.

The server has a seperate ip address assigned:

pyshical server - physical ip

virtual hostname - virtual ip

The SAP system is started using command

startsap -t ALL -v "<virtual hostname>"

When I look at the Message Server in /nwa under Configuration -> Infrastructure -> Message Server I can see that the physical ip address is assigned to the message server as well as the physical hostname.

The parameter that seems to be incorrect there is stated as server addr, server host and server host (fqn).

When the physical hostname is used access HTTP access works properly, the virtual hostname does not return anything.

We tried a bunch of things like changing the icm/server_post parameter to include the HOST or VHOSTIDX, SAPLOCALHOST, SAPLOCALHOSTFULL, icm/host_name_full, rdisp/mshost etc but it doesn't change anything.

I checked out the relevant SAP notes and /etc/hosts is maintained properly

niping -v -H <virtual host> works properly

In the dev_ms log I see that the startup process finds 3 hostnames (physical, local, virtual) and it seems he just picks the physical for some reason.

The configuration is done exactly as for SAP Netweaver 7.0 EHP1 or SAP Netweaver 7.1 where this all works fine so it seems to be related to the release SAP Netweaver 7.3 and perhaps also slightly different architecture although SAP Netweaver 7.1 is similar for the AS Java based part (both are SAPJVM based).

Any ideas?

Kind regards

Tom

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

JPReyes
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Sounds like a bug to me... as far as I understand the procedure for 7.3 installation on virtual hosts still dependant on SAPINST_USE_HOSTNAME

Keep us up to date, I'll so some reading to see if I can find something that might help

Regards

Juan

JPReyes
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Well, first point of reference is the installation guide it clearly mention that your procedure is correct.

What OS are you using?...

Regards

Juan

TomCenens
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hello Juan

OS is AIX 6.1

I chatted with Chris Kernaghan on Skype to go over some possibilities.

So far I only found some DNS related things that I want to verify to make sure the hostname resolving is working properly upon startup.

The strange thing is that everything uses the virtual hostname properly except the message server seems to be using the physical hostname. At least according to the parameter settings that I can see in the message server through /nwa.

Customer message has been opened at SAP but progress is pretty slow as support asked if the AS Java Netweaver 7.3 installation is a dual stack or not.

Kind regards

Tom

sunny_pahuja2
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi,

Is your system installed on cluster ??

Thanks

Sunny

TomCenens
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hello Sunny

No it's not a cluster installation.

Kind regards

Tom

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Tom,

We have the same issue in our landscape. Did you get any information from SAP? or as said in the above note it is DNS issue?

Best Regards,

Gowtham.

TomCenens
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hello Gowtham.

The additional steps we have done now is run with rdisp/TRACE = 3 in the SCS profile to get more detail into the log files.

I didn't directly see indications of issues though in those trace files.

The message is sent back to SAP.

Meanwhile I have requested the network team to verify that the DNS is for sure ok. The test described in the SAP OSS Notes succeed but I want to be sure that there is nothing wrong that is not visible from the tools I have access to.

Kind regards

Tom

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Tom,

did you finally find a solution ?

I'm facing the same problem at the moment.

I would appreciate any hint.

Kind regards

Matthias

TomCenens
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hello Matthias

It was a DNS/network problem in the end.

Best regards

Tom

DoE_DW
Explorer
0 Kudos

Hello Tom,

We are also facing the exact same issue. Can you tell me what the issue with DNS/Network was?

If I run nslookup on my Virtual Hostnames all looks okay.

The Central Services still default to the physical hostname.

Regards,

David

TomCenens
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi David

There was something wrong in the DNS server. I don't have details on it, I send out the issue at that moment in time to the network team and they found something eventually and fixed it by changing configuration in the DNS.

Nothing on SAP application side made a difference or resolved the issue.

Best regards

Tom

Answers (0)