cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

JDK problem

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

I am trying to get an SRM landscape going. I have a SRM 5 system based on WebAS 6.40 and also installed J2EE 6.40 . In addition, I have applied Microsoft hotfix 841176 as per OSS note 716604. I have upgraded my JDK from 1.4.2_05 to 1.4.2_06, installing the new version in the current directory c:\j2sdk1.4.2_05.

I have downloaded SP 9 for J2EE 6.40. My current J2EE engine is at level 6.30 SP 3. When I try to run SAPINST to apply the patches, it prompts me to enter the JDK directory. When I enter c:\j2sdk1.4.2_05, it gives me error - "Directory C:\j2sdk1.4.2_05 is not a valid JDK directory: execution of "C:\j2sdk1.4.2_05/bin/java.exe '-version'" finished with return code 1."

If I open a command prompt, java -version gives me the version info. However, when I change directory to c:\j2sdk1.4.2_05\bin and run java -version, I get error :

Error occurred during initialization of VM

java/lang/NoClassDefFoundError: java/lang/Object

-

I am logged on as Administrator user on my machine. The environment variable JAVA_HOME = c:\j2sdk1.4.2_05 and

PATH includes c:\j2sdk1.4.2_05\bin

Please advise. Only after I have patched and tuned the J2EE engine, can I start installing bugseye , emerge etc.

Regards,

Sanket

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (1)

Answers (1)

detlev_beutner
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Sanket,

sounds like running "java -version" calls the JRE java.exe whereas running "c:\j2sdk1.4.2_05\bin\java -version" calls the JDK java.exe. This one seems to be broken.

I would uninstall JDK &(!) JRE, restart your computer and install JDK again (with this, JRE is installed again).

As a general advice, you should install the JDK in a directory <i>without</i> using the underscore version in the path (now it's maybe a bit late, if some Java dependent software uses a some time ago found path instead of referring to some env variable).

Hope it helps

Detlev