Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Running SAP in MSCS GEO Cluster?

rolfc_weber
Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi,

Anyone knows if it is possible and supported by SAP to run a SAP System (Basis 7.00 or higher), in a so called MSCS GEO Cluster setup in connection with a EMC attached SAN Storage?

And if it is what to consider or be aware of when doing so?

Additional if anyone has done so or doing so, are there any changes in the installation to be aware about (saying can we still follow the HA Installation documentation from the SAP Installation guide)?

Regards

Rolf

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Rolf!

You can see that it is not supported here. But let me provide a little bit more of detail.

The key here is that "supported" means different things; but your question is precise enough, as you differentiate if it is possible and supported.

SAP does not support any platform that is not extensively tested by their developers. There are detailed instructions to install and set up the supported platforms in the instguides collections. Any other configuration is not supported in the sense that it was not extensively tested and so, as SAP did not invest any resources to develop the know-how in that area, there are no dedicated experts on that particular field inside the company and even, it is not possible to grant that an SAP solution is working on such a platform.

However, the fact that it is not supported by SAP should not be confused with the possibility to run an SAP system in such a platform. In fact, this is something to be checked also with the platform provider. I do not know if it could have sense, but you could even consider to install a clustered MS SQL Server to be used as the SAP database in a MSCS GEO cluster if Microsoft does support such configuration; it could even be that Microsoft also provided a guide to perform an SAP installation in such a platform. But as far as I know, this is not the case for the MS Geo Cluster.

Cheers!

--Jesú

rolfc_weber
Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Jesus,

Thanks for your nice description.

Even if I could come up with several additional questions, for the time being I'm satisfied and close this thread.

Regards

Rolf

Ps.: SQL Server can run in a Geo MSCS Cluster....

Answers (0)