cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Overtaker in ChaRM

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi experts,

I have a general question: Is there any functionality in ChaRM which provides protection from overtakers in transport management? I know that there are functions like object locks, etc. which help to avoid overtakers but as soon as the transport requests are released I think this will not provide any additional protection while two or more transport requests get on their way to prod system.

Thanks for your response, Basti

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Basti,

Are you looking for a way to control the sequence of transports? Or are you looking to control who can do imports in QA and Prod environments?

If you are looking to control the sequence of imports recently this thread below spoke about the situation.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello,

yes I am looking for a functionality to control the sequence of imports. I thought maybe this can be realized using ChaRM to avoid the time and effort for checking and doing it manually (to avoid transport overtakers).

Regards, Basti

Former Member
0 Kudos

If you use ChaRM properly, there is no need to worry about the sequences. If you release a transport it is supposed to go to production during the next maintenance cycle, no exceptions. If you decide you do not want the change in production, you need to create a new transport with a test message to undo the change and send both transports to production. There is no room for flexibility here. All changes for the maintenance cycle are moved to production together and urgent corrections are reimported again during go-live as well. This keeps things in order.

Can you give us an example of how you think it will be imported incorrectly? Perhaps there is a change needed to your process.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello Jason,

think about the following scenario: Developer A modifies a specific object x, he releases the transport request and sends it to QA system. Now some guys from the specific department have to test.

In the meanwhile another developer modifies (the already from developer A modified) object x again, releases the transport request and send it also to QA system. Unfortunately testing is done by different people and the tester 2 from the second transport releases the test faster than tester 1. So transport request no. 2 is moved to prod system before transport no. 1 is send to prod system. The classical overtaker scenario... So the modification from developer 2 gets lost.

For this we want to have a tool / a solution which says stop at the moment we try to import transport request no.2 before transport request no. 1 to prod system.

Thankx, Basti

Former Member
0 Kudos

Developer A modifies a specific object x, he releases the transport request and sends it to QA system. Now some guys from the specific department have to test. In the meanwhile another developer modifies (the already from developer A modified) object x again, releases the transport request and send it also to QA system. Unfortunately testing is done by different people and the tester 2 from the second transport releases the test faster than tester 1. So transport request no. 2 is moved to prod system before transport no. 1 is send to prod system. The classical overtaker scenario... So the modification from developer 2 gets lost.

This is not using ChaRM properly. You need to use it the way it is intended.

Changes that are released from development move to production together, no exceptions. That's why the classic "overtaker" situation will not occur.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Have you seen REALTECH's TransportManager solution? It takes care of this and other typical scenarios around managing transports in a very graphical and intuitive way.

Answers (0)