Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

DP Master Data

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello APO Experts,

System Landscape:

Legacy ERP Systems -> Legacy Demand Planning Systems -> Advanced Supply Planning Systems

We are replacing Legacy DP systems with APO DP. The new land scape will look like...

Legacy ERP Systems -> Data Repository -> APO DP -> Data Repository -> Advanced Supply Planning Systems

My question is regarding the master data. I would like to understand the whole concept of this master data flow and how it gets stored in APO DP. Could you please provide some insight into it or send me some information about how it has been done in any of your previous clients? Thanks everyone for your time.

Thanks,

Uthira.

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (3)

Answers (3)

Former Member
0 Kudos

I understand the question is very generic and your answers have provided me a direction for me to search for more information. Thanks DB49 and Rishi. I will come back with some specific questions.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Uthira

DP has of two types of master data -

1. APO BI Master Data - This includes -

a. Characteristic values are created automatically when you populate Infocubes.But you might choose to seperately feed BI master data from your main BI (Enterprise BI) system. One advantage of this approach is that you get characteristic descriptions that are very useful when using Interactive Planning in APO DP. Another reason why you might do this is if you use navigational attributes that can be fed directly from main BI system. Alternatively, you can also maintain descriptions and navigational attributes directly in APO BI.

b. Characteristic Value Combinations (CVC's)/ Time Series Objects - These are generally created based on Infocubes (shipment history, for example). You can also create CVC's manually.

2. APO Master Data - This includes -

a. Product & Location - While there are no DP specific fields in the product or location masters, planning books can use descriptions from these masters. These masters are populated from ECC using the Core Interface. Product and Location masters are required if you want to release forecasts to either ECC or SNP.

b. Other - Depending on the functionality you are implementing you may need Phase-In/ Phase-Out profiles, Interchangeability Master Data, Characteristic Based Forecasting Profiles, etc. These are usually maintained directly in APO.

Rishi Menon

Former Member
0 Kudos

Uthira,

SAP DP doesn't inherently need 'Master Data'. Generally, the master data is contained in the data itself. It really depends, though, upon what you are trying to do.

For example, in your legacy ERP you might consider a customer name as 'Master Data". In your sales documents that you wish to use in demand planning, the customer name also exists as a field in the sales order record. For DP, this is just another characteristic that can be used to categorize the data. You can manually create the Characteristics Value combinations (CVCs), but most people just extract the CVCs from the data itself before moving the data into Demand planning.

Naturally, there are lots of exceptions. The consulting company that assists you with your implementation will advise you if there are any special Master data needs in your project. The Business Warehouse contained in SCM has tools available to extract and store data from many types of source systems, if it becomes necessary to keep supplementary master data.

Overview of APO Demand Planning at http://service.sap.com/~sapdownload/011000358700001723362008E/DP_with_SAP_APO_Dec2010.pdf (you must have an S number to access)

Online help for APO DP http://help.sap.com/saphelp_scm70/helpdata/en/8a/9d6937089c2556e10000009b38f889/frameset.htm (free)

Configuration guide for APO DP http://help.sap.com/bp_scmv250/BBLibrary/HTML/DPL_EN_DE.htm (free)

Best Regards,

DB49