cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

SAP ME 6.0 Installation. Netweaver 7.3 service pack installation

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

I am making a test installation of a SAP ME 6.0 environment.

I have installed Netweaver 7.3 on my application server, but the problem comes when I should patch

Netweaver 7.3 to required SPS01. According to SAP documents I have to install solution manager.

I know this may not be the appropriate forum for questions about netweaver and solution manager, but I anyway feel that it is related to ME since 6.0 requires Netweaver 7.3.

My questions are:

1) Do I have to install Solution manager to upgrade Netweaver 7.3?

If answer is yes I have follow-up questions:

1a) Do I have to install Solution manager on a separate server or can I use the same app-server as Netweaver 7.3?

1b) What version of SAP Solution manager should I install?

1c) Do I have to create a System Landscape directory (SLD). There is an installation phase regarding this in the

Solution manager 7.1 installation.

Br,

Johan

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

tim_drury
Active Participant
0 Kudos

I'll try to answer these, but understand since this is the ME forum these won't be authorative answers about Solution Manager, just empirical data.

1. You need SolMan to attain most patches and licenses.

1a) I would strongly recommend another system for SolMan since it's a dual-stack version of NW.

1b) the latest

1c) no, you don't have to have an SLD for a test installation

-tim

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Tim,

Thank you for your answer. Not that happy though since it will require me to go ask my manager for more money to purchase a Solution manager server. Anyway I have yet another follow-up question.

1c) How will I get pass the SLD part of SOLMAN 7.1 installation if I have no SLD? At one point in the installation I am

asked whether a) "Register in existing central SLD" or b) "Configure a local SLD". The B-option seems most logical

here since I don't have a central SLD, but then it warns me that it will take several hours to create and I come to a screen

where I am asked to enter information about my local SLD.

Br,

Johan

former_member182330
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hello Johan,

As far as I understand you do not necessarily need SolMan to download SPS01. You can download it component by component. Yes, it's not that convenient, but it still can be done. Go to service.sap.com/patches -> A-Z index -> select required software -> choose Entry by component -> Application Server Java. And there you can download SP for each java component separately. Just be attentive what you download as there are several files for different SPs in the list.

Anyway, it's still recommended to have SolMan installed not just for SPS installation, but for E2E diagnostics etc.

Konstantin

tim_drury
Active Participant
0 Kudos

As you guessed, configure a local SLD.

Hopefully Konstantin's advice will get you the patches you need.

-tim

tim_drury
Active Participant
0 Kudos

I just talked to someone who is authorative on Solution Manager and he says it's free via your maintenance contract. He grudgingly admitted however that many customers do not use it, or only use it to generate licenses then shut it down.

Answers (0)