cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Import and Syndication maps - change in XSD

Former Member
0 Kudos

HI All,

Can any one let me know are these are correct if it is then are there any work around solutions?

We created manually Import and syndication maps.. fine..After few days we changed data type/deleted the filed/added new fields.... In all these above incidents do we need to recreate import and syndication maps????

There is no other work around for this ??

2) Even if there is no change in Repository structure but change in import or syndication XSD do we need to recreate all import and syndication maps???

Your inputs are really helpful.

Thanks

Rajeev

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

former_member182007
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Yes,you have to modify your maps,Rajeev.

thx

Deep

Former Member
0 Kudos

HI All,

So when ever

Data type is changed

New field is added

a field is deleted

I need to RECREATE from scrach the entire import maps and syndicaiton maps?

There is no other work around for this ??

2) Even if there is no change in Repository structure but change in import or syndication XSD do we need to recreate all import and syndication maps???

Do need to recreate the import and syndication maps?

Regards,

Rajeev

Former Member
0 Kudos

In some cases you have to create maps from scratch but in most cases just open the maps and update the field mapping and remap the newly created field to the destination items. Use the Export change file concept to move the maps to different environments, so you dont have to repeat your manual mapping in each environment.

Thanks.

Former Member
0 Kudos

HI Rajeev,

Whenever you do changes as mentioned it is not required to recreate maps from scratch.

As already mentioned there is option of update maps but i would suggest to unmap a field from the map and then do changes to the concerned field and remap.

When you delete a field available in a map possibilities are you can corrupt a map.

Suppose you have to add 2 fields in the map and delete 1 field and modify another filed.

Just unmap the 2 available fields from the map,one which has to be modified and one which has to be deleted.

Do the changes and map all the 4 fields.

This will ensure non of the maps get corrupt.

XSD is something which should not change often,it tell MDM system what kind structure to expect and what structure to send.

It effects parsing of xml too.

Broadly speaking answer would be YES.

Suppose you have xsd defined with 20 fields and you create another xsd of 10 fields,but your map has those 10 fields only you need not change map in that case.But if tomorrow you need to add more fields then without changing xsd nothing will work.

Hope this helps.

Thanks,

Ravi

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Ravi and all,

I am abit confused :

So for any change in the MDM repository Import maps and syndication maps are not needed to recreate from scrach right?

If there is any change in the XSD then there is a possibility to recreate the map from scrach??

Do Update XML schema option avaliable only in MDM 7.1?? not in 5.5?

One more thing want to clear : I created a scheme and assigned the XSD.. Now when I created the port I am unable to assing the schema like I do for import map??? then what is the use of XSD schema for outbbound??

What is the usual method of import XSD and Outbound XSD?? Do Source and Target systems provide XSDs to MDM or MDM provides to Source and Target Systems?

Regards.

Rajeev

Former Member
0 Kudos

HI Rajeev,

So for any change in the MDM repository Import maps and syndication maps are not needed to recreate from scrach right?

For minor changes like field add there is no need.For changes involving deletion of mapped fields,changing types of already mapped fields,deleting mapped tables,one should first unmap the current map and then carry out structural changes.Later one can remap them again,this is to avoid maps from getting corrupt.

If there is any change in the XSD then there is a possibility to recreate the map from scrach??

Yes

Do Update XML schema option avaliable only in MDM 7.1?? not in 5.5?

Yes

A good description and usage is given by Aamir here

One more thing want to clear : I created a scheme and assigned the XSD.. Now when I created the port I am unable to assing the schema like I do for import map??? then what is the use of XSD schema for outbbound??

Seems you are not using in the way it is supposed to.the exact usage and defining what feature is available with which port is mentioned in pg no 356 of Console guide.

What is the usual method of import XSD and Outbound XSD?? Do Source and Target systems provide XSDs to MDM or MDM provides to Source and Target Systems?

For Standard contents SAP provides ready made xsds.

It is important to note that xsds are only to make MDM and other system understand the xml so they should be same.

To do this you can use Altova tool to create xsds based on your xml,also PI can help you do the same.

You can create xsd with PI for other idoc type too.

Hope this helps.

Thanks,

Ravi

Answers (1)

Answers (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello Rajeev

You are right. If you have changed xsd you need to change(modify) import/syndication maps too(for example if you add new fields or change fields name).

Regards

Kanstantsin Chernichenka