cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Oracle 10g to 11g and Windows Operating System Upgrades 2003 to 2008 R2

0 Kudos

Hello Experts

Our system landscape comprises of the following

3 x SAP ERP 6.0 (running oracle 10.2 and windows 2003)

1x Solution Manager 7.0 EHP 1 (running oracle 10.2 and windows 2008)

1 x Netweaver CE 7.2 (running oracle 10.2 and windows 2008)

My aim is to upgrade the oracle databases to 11.2 and the OS to windows 2008 R2 across the landscape. I wish to maintain the hardware as it is more than adequate for the job. I plan to upgrade the oracle databases first and then the O/S is this the best way round . I have also read the note (1494740) regarding in-place upgrades from windows 2003/windows 2008 to windows 2008 (R2) and it mentions oracle supports Windows in-place upgrades only if the database software is removed, but no other instructions are given. Is this just a case of removing the software via oracles universal installer and reinstalling again? or is there other manual activities that are required as well. If you have done something similar to the above I would like to hear how you got on and any pitfalls to avoid.

Thanks in advance

Liz

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

markus_doehr2
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

> I have also read the note (1494740) regarding in-place upgrades from windows 2003/windows 2008 to windows 2008 (R2) and it mentions oracle supports Windows in-place upgrades only if the database software is removed, but no other instructions are given. Is this just a case of removing the software via oracles universal installer and reinstalling again?

I would avoid in-place upgrades, Windows can be very picky with hardware drivers and you may end up having "stale" drivers luring around because the drive model changed.

I would do a backup of the system (database + \usr\sap), delete the old Windows installation and install the OS. Then you can do a system copy using backup/restore together with the database upgrade (installation of Oracle 11g and using the database backup of 10g).

This require some more manual work but the system will be "clean" and you will have no leftovers of old drivers etc.

Markus

Answers (2)

Answers (2)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Does any one performed In place upgrade from windows 2003 to windows 2008 with SAP oracle database. In this post, there is insufficient info.

I would like In-Place upgrade My sap server with oracle database from 2003 X64 bit server to windows 2008 R2 server,.

0 Kudos

Hi Markus

Thank you for replying to my post. I have spoken to our Windows server expert and he has performed a number of in-place upgrades to windows 2008 on site for other servers. He has had no problems with the 'stale drivers' in any of the upgrades and there is always an option to upgrade any vendor drivers post upgrade of the OS. The same hardware and O/S have been upgraded else where without issues, so the only unknown quantity would be the oracle and sap.

I assume note 1494740 is tested and supported by SAP and as long as I fulfil the criteria it seems to be the less disruptive way for me to get from A to B. Are there any other reasons not to follow it?

Regards

Liz

former_member195709
Participant
0 Kudos

Hi Liz,

Hope you might have completed the in-place upgrade by this time. Can you inform how did it go?

We have similar plan. However we have to upgrade SAP from ECC 5.0 to 6.0 with Oracle 11g

Thanks

Bala

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Liz,

I agree with both, you and Markus. However if you follow system copy method then you have an advantage of upgrading the database from 10g to 11g in one go (less downtime for current/'source' system, too) along with the 'clean' data move advantage, as Markus suggested.

You may like to try inplace windows upgrade for one system first (normally sandbox) and see if everything is good. I see this in-place upgrade note for the first time.

Thanks

Dev