cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

SAP/MaxDB Backup on Samba Share?

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hiya everyone,

at the moment we try to establish a backup for a few lower priority SAP Systems to a Network Attached Storage device (Iomega).

All our Systems are based on Windows 2000/2003 on SAPDB/MaxDB 7.3.x and above.

The NAS device has a linux/sambe solution installed (should be samba version 3, CIFS is supported).

Regardless of the user access level, actually we still try to get it to work with everyone full access atm), backup fails ... first the file is created with zero size, than we get an error message:

-24988 sql error [backup_save "Full_Remote_xx" DATA RECOVERY]; -903,Message not available, access denied [5]

We tried several settings in file and block size.. doesn't matter. We tried higher version MaxDB, ... doesn't matter. We tried a full configured, newly installed linux/samba on a server... doesn't matter.

I searched the net, but found nothing really helpfull. Does anyone here have any ideas, how to workaround this?

Kind regards

Christian Reitz

Following entries are present for every backup try in the knldiag.err file:

2006-08-23 13:42:55 0x840 ERR 18611 SECURITY Access denied

2006-08-23 13:42:56 0x5A8 ERR 52012 SAVE error occured, basis_err 3700

2006-08-23 13:42:56 0x5A8 ERR 53017 I/O SYSDEV DEVNO: 1

2006-08-23 13:42:56 0x5A8 ERR 53016 I/O G:\sapdb\SDC\dbsys\SYS

Message was edited by: Christian Reitz

As additional information, we tried access to the NAS device on different way:

-
<ip>\<sharename>

-
<hostname>\<sharename>

- mapped as windows network folder

Message was edited by: Christian Reitz

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

roland_mallmann
Advisor
Advisor
0 Kudos

Hello Christian,

normally, I'd say that you need to make sure that the user under which the DB runs must have appropriate rights/permissions on the linux/samba NAS. Normally, the DB Windows Service has the Localsystemaccount listed as its user and that would not work for you.

What I currently do not understand is why the knldiag output shows that there's a problem when the system devspace is being accessed.

I take it the system- (G:\sapdb\SDC\dbsys\SYS), data- and logdevspaces all reside on normal local disks?

Can you maybe send me the whole knldiag file (not knldiag.err) and make sure it contains the relevant abckup attempt information? You can get my emailaddress from my SDN business card.

Thanks & regards,

Roland

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello Roland,

yes, the devspaces reside all on normal local disks, DB is on a RAID-partition.

Normal Backups on local disk or on a Windows share work just fine.

Additional to the access via localsystemaccount I tried changing to a named user (SAPServiceSDC), but it does not change anything.

The access to the NAS device is currently as open as it can be... everyone has full read and write access to any share. This is just for testing and getting it to work, for sure.

The error message regarding the system devspace is something I also don't understand... as I said, backups local or on windows share work just fine. And I can move/copy local backups to the NAS share...

In meanwhile I tried several things, the effect is always the same: the file is created and then... error message. If the user has no rigths, the file would not be created, so there must be another reason for the error.

Could it be something with the blocksize? Or something with the writing process?

Kind Regards

Christian

roland_mallmann
Advisor
Advisor
0 Kudos

Hi again Christian,

did you send me the knldiag file, as I requested? I need those for further analysis.

Thanks & regards,

Roland

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello Roland,

sorry, I overlooked the request for the file.

Mail is on the way.

Thanks in advance for your help!

Kind Regards

Christian

volker_borowski2
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi,

anything new on this ?

I have the same problem.

I installed a small 7.6 test DB on my XP PC.

After changing the Service acounnt to a named one, I was able to backup on a shared network folder.

But is this a supported way for a real SAP System ?

Found no Note regarding this and Online Documentation states, that the service runs as "local System", not saying anything about changing it.

The other way I found was to set up a null-share,

which causes our W2K3 admin to go mad for security reasons!

I'd like to have an "official" statement, if one can change the ServcieUser of the DB-Service in W2K3 and MaxDb 7.5 or 7.6.

Thanks for feedback

Volker

roland_mallmann
Advisor
Advisor
0 Kudos

Hi,

yes indeed, we've got news regarding this:

From MaxDB Version 7.5.00 Build 40 and 7.6.02 Build 03 onwards, a new parameter has been created to enable the use of SMB shares: USE_BACKUP_SECURITY_DESCRIPTOR

If you set this parameter to NO, no security descriptor will be used for opening backup file, thus the backup will run without problems.

Regards,

Roland

volker_borowski2
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Roland,

thanks for the news. I just tried to apply the newest available Version from SAPNet, which appears to be 7.6.1.15.

According to the feature Note 806690 this one will be available with version

SP2 Patch Level 03 (7.6.02.03)(20.12.2006) (as you already stated)

but this one is not downlodable yet.

Do you have any Information when this will be available for SAP Systems?

Thanks

Volker

roland_mallmann
Advisor
Advisor
0 Kudos

Hi Volker,

it should not take too long anymore for MaxDB version 7.6.02 to be available for SAP systems, a couple of weeks should be a rough estimate, but I cannot be more specific in that respect, I'm afraid.

If interested, you could enter the socalled RampUp phase, in which selected customer receive the version beforehand. This more or less represents the last QA phase.

Kind regards,

Roland

volker_borowski2
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Roland,

the Patch is available in the Meantime.

I downloaded and updateted my I386-XP-playgroud DB already.

I did set the Parameter to NO.

Unfortunately it still does not work.

I am still getting IO Error when I try to backup the DB.

My share resides on a I386 W2K3 Server with Local directory permissions and Share Permissions set to "everyone" and Full Control. But it looks, like there is still no way to backup inside the net when staying on Windows.

Backup to a Share my local XP-PC works, but I doubt that this is a valid test, because I like to do the Backup to the server. I want to migrate the backup of several SAP-Systemes to an attached Tapedrive on that server later.

So is this just a way to run the Backup to a wide open linux-smb-share ?

In this case I would need additional parameters for UID and Password to create a valid Backup descriptor to do a backup accross the network, right?

I am confused...

Volker

roland_mallmann
Advisor
Advisor
0 Kudos

Hi Volker,

as your issue is a bit different from the one mentioned by the thread opener, can you please open a new thread for yours?

I will continue to post in the new thread.

Thanks,

Roland

Answers (0)