Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

TDMS: is it possible to use sender and receiver client within the same SID

Adrian_Gruetter
Explorer
0 Kudos

Hi all

I have a general question about TDMS: i always read that it is possible to refresh data from a productive system/client to a test system/client, e.g. PRD100 => DEV100. But is it also possible to refresh data from one sender-client to the receiver-client inside the same system using TDMS, e.g. DEV100 => DEV200.

i'm asking because if i start to build up a new client using tdms the first step is to build up the client using package "ERP Initial Package for Master Data & Customizing". This includes under point "data transfer" the step "lock the system" with teh following description:

-

Lock System

Activities

During data deletion in the receiver client, the tables are dropped. All clients in the system are affected by this procedure. Consequently, all users in all clients in the receiver system must be temporarily locked while the data deletion takes place.

The function for this activity locks only the current client. If the receiver system is a single client system, it is sufficient to execute the function. If, however, the receiver system is a multi-client system, the user in the other clients must be locked using standard means.

-

Anyone has any experience with this scenario inside the same system?

Regards

Adrian

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

You can run TDMS package on the same system and between different clients. However SAP don't recommend to run TDMS package on the same system.

There are 2 ways to delete data in receiver system: Array delete and drop insert.

You have to use Array Insert only which is usually very slow as it first select all the relevant entries from the tables in the target client and then drop it. So, it is slow.

Drop insert is much optimized and fast but the same can not be used in this use case.

That is the reason SAP don't recommend to have TDMS run in same system.

bruno_esperanca
Contributor
0 Kudos

Thanks, I had this question as well

I'm guessing we can also expect lower performance in the data transfer phase as the "reading" and "writing" are being done in the same database, correct?

Bruno

former_member65049
Active Participant
0 Kudos

Yes, there will be impact on the performance if sender and receiver systems are on the same box.

Best Regards,

Rupam

Answers (0)