Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Project definaton change

kalpesh_agrawal
Participant
0 Kudos

hi,

One of my user has by misake changed the project defination code, now system is not allowing him to put the original project defination giving an error that project version XXXX already exist for that project, This is due to system has generated version of that project on release.

I have tried note number - 616732 but it applies only to WBS and not to project defination.

Is there any note availbale to resolve this issue.

Regards,

Kalpesh Agrawal

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

This is the design behaviour. A version of a project is a snapshot of this project at a certain point in time. The renaming or deleting of a WBS element and project definition does not have influence on the version. Therefore the corresponding data for the version persists in tables VSPRPS_CN and VSPROJ_CN.

You can find more information concerning status-dependent versions in attached SAP Note 529634.

There are some workarounds, in case you wish to get around this standard behaviour:

In case you do NOT wish to use status-dependent project versions on your system, you can run report ZVERSDEL from attached note Nr. 160884. This will delete ALL versions for status "released", for all projects on your system. Please note: this action is not reversible, and cannot be restricted to a single project or range of projects. You will then be able to rename the WBS elements as required. To avoid this happening in the future, it is then advisable to deactivate the automatic writing of versions when WBS element or project is released.

In case you DO you use project versions, then this report is not an option. In this case I am only able to offer a partial workaround to deal with your situation. You may use report ZVERSION_UPDATE from attached note 616732. This report will rename in table VSPRPS_CN (i.e. table with versions for WBS element) those records which you have specified in the selection screen. Here you can specify version key and project number. Once you have renamed the WBS elements in the status-dependant version (e.g. from "ABCD.0001" to "DELE.0001"), you will be able to recreate an operative WBS Element with the external number which you have changed in the version (e.g. in the previous example "ABCD.0001"). Please note however that there is no equivalent

report to rename / delete records from table VSPROJ_CN(versions for project definitions). The only option is to manually delete those records in the table, or to custom-write a report to make those changes.

Please note that both aforementioned reports actually violate the version concept which is normally adhered to in Project System. The concept of versions is that a version once created should not be changed any more, because someone may want to track a project and e.g. check which WBS elements were existing some time ago. Once you have run this report, you will no longer see the version data which has been deleted: this is the reason why the version concept is being violated. This is also the reason why the notes mention that these reports should only be used after contact with SAP Support. As long as you are aware of the above, and do not have an issue with it, you can proceed as outlined in one or the other of the aforementioned notes.

I hope that this information is of some assistance.

Regards,

Syed Ammar Zaheer

former_member215254
Participant
0 Kudos

This message was moderated.

Answers (1)

Answers (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

For Information Only.

Please have a look at Note 160884, Report for the deletion of project versions.This note is about deleting the project versions, even status dependent. ( Not recommended by SAP to delete the status dependent project version ). Unfortunately I guess this note will delete all project version. Please discuss this with your technical team , it may give them some input.

Warm regards,

Srinivas Potluri

kalpesh_agrawal
Participant
0 Kudos

hi Potluri Srinivas

This note - 160884 deletes all the proects versions. so it is not desirable. Is there any other note avaible which can be used to delete a project version for a particular project

Regards,

Kalpesh

kalpesh_agrawal
Participant
0 Kudos

hi, Potluri Srinivas

Note 160884 deletes all the project verions in the system. so it is not desirable. Is there any other note avaible which delte a particular project version.

Regards,

Kalpesh

Former Member
0 Kudos

Try to convince the customer stating the situatation and request him to continue with the current Project Definition.Try to remove that version creation at release setting so that you can avoid this in future.

If you try to remove that version in the table level, it might create an impact.

former_member213716
Participant
0 Kudos

Hi Kalpesh,

Is your problem is resolved,,,as i am also facing the same issue,

If your problem was resolved then pls provide me the same solution so that i can also apply the same..

rgds

rkp