Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Role : HANA Components

former_member191765
Active Participant
0 Kudos

Hi Team,

Can you please let me know whose role(Basis/Devloper) is responsible to replicate the ECC data to in-memory DB & ongoing activities.

Do BI guy required to know the replication process & scripting.?

Thank you,

Ankur...

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (1)

Answers (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

BASIS guy would be usually responsible maintainance of HANA and ensuring connectivity across various systems.

It is good to for modeling person to understand extraction from ECC and perform activities on HANA side if required, however based on my current HANA project experience the data extraction is separate role. Currently this role is performed by separate person who understand extraction tools better and is seperate from modeler or scripter role.

The same way scripter is separate role. The person need to understand SQL script (similar but not same as SQL). This is like ABAPer role in SAP BW.

Edited by: divya prakash srivastava on Aug 17, 2011 7:12 AM

former_member191765
Active Participant
0 Kudos

Thank you for your reply.. You mean modeling person will do the replication & structure definition.

Is it good idea to switch BI guy to HANA.?

Thank you.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Yes however switching needs to be timed. The way I understood from Hasso presentation(available on Internet), BW may not exist in long run. Analytical and ERP will be combined together in one database which will be HANA ver X.

lbreddemann
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Well, one thing to keep in mind here is that HANA currently is in its very early stages.

Therefore the 'roles' that people take up in projects right now are more or less simple defined by the current tasks and by the already available knowledge of the people involved.

For example the data extraction part does not require much classic BASIS knowledge but a good grasp of the application data model and insight into what should be done with the extracted data.

Concerning the "there won't be any BW any longer"-statement: HANA does eliminate several aspects of the classic SAP BW environment (e.g. extracting data from from the SAP application databases, creating aggregates, multi-level-data marts) that's correct.

However, it does not remove heterogeneity from system landscapes.

It also doesn't automatically provide historical data (at least not today).

So there still will be data warehouses around to integrate and harmonize the data before reporting on them.

The same is true concerning the user interface to HANA reporting. Right now building up a report with HANA is time-consuming and difficult (especially when dealing with R/3 data models and -types).

This will change as soon as BW on HANA is available. With that there won't be the need for a specialized SQLSCRIPT expert any longer.

All this is of course just my opinion

regards,

Lars