cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Move MaxDB database to new server

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello,

I would like to move a MaxDB (Content Server) database from a Windows 2003 x86 server to a Windows 2003 x64 server. I will be moving from 7.5 to 7.6 at the same time. Reading around the subject, this is what I have done so far:

Target Server:

Used SAPINST to install the MaxDB 7.6 / Content Server 6.40 on the new x64 target server.

SAPINST created a empty database on the target server and I added the appropriate number of volumes.

After playing around I used db_active to initialize the target database.

Put the target database in admin mode.

Source Server:

Used backup_start CompleteData RECOVERY DATA to create a backup of the database.

Target Server:

Created a backup medium called Restore and pointed this at the copied backup file.

In db_admin mode executed a recover_start "Restore" DATA

db_online

Re-created the system tables (via wizard or dbmcli)

Questions:

Do I need to apply any log backups here (assuming no activity on source)?

If there were activity on the source and I applied the logs to the target, how do I apply the data that is in the transaction logs but not currently written to the log backup?

There is no backup history on the target server, how does it know how far to go and that the log recovery is complete?

Can the backup history be copied from souce to target?

Thanks,

Philip.

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

markus_doehr2
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

> Do I need to apply any log backups here (assuming no activity on source)?

Since the source database was in "admin" mode no changes could have been done - so no logs.

Markus

Answers (2)

Answers (2)

0 Kudos

Hello Philip,

SAP Note 1089402 - "Shortening backup history for MaxDB/liveCache instances" is useful in this case:

The backup history of a database instance that is based on MaxDB is stored in the files dbm.knl and dbm.mdf in the run directory (usually, /sapdb/data/wrk/<DBSID>)

You can copy these two files in the new server in order to apply the log backup to the restored database BUT... this is not supported by SAP, because as far as I know there is no SAP Notes where you are asked to do so.

So, the supported procedure is to restore the DB but you shouldn't apply any backup log

Regards,

Valerio

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello,

Thanks for that.

If there were activity on the souce system, what would I need to apply. The logs saved with autolog and whatever is in the unsaved logs?

How does it know how far to go if this history exists on the source server and not the target?

Philip.

0 Kudos

Did you succedded in this move activity?

Regards,

Ankit Baphna