cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

SAPSetup Automatic Update Service

Former Member
0 Kudos

Good Day,

I'm very new to SAP and have a quick question regarding configuration of the SAPSetup Automatic Update Service.

According to the documentation, it is possible to have existing SAP GUI installations, e.g. 7.20 sp3, update automatically when the Installation Server that you've set up is patched with a newer version.

I am trying to determine how the clients (workstations) are going to know where to look for the Installation Server. Is there not a piece of this puzzle that I'm missing. Should I be configuring the clients via GPO or another means to point them to the Installation Server? If so, is there an existing adm file that I can use or does one need to be created?

Thanks in advance for any help you can extend,

Mitzi

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (3)

Answers (3)

0 Kudos

Hi Mitzi,

every NwSapSetup run will write the installation server it was started from into the file %ProgramFiles%\SAP\SapSetup\Setup\Updater\WkstaUpdater.cfg

And that's where the workstation update service looks in order to find out the installation server(s) to use.

HTH and best regards,

Klaus-Georg Adams (NwSapSetup development)

jude_bradley
Advisor
Advisor
0 Kudos

Hello Mitzi,

Please check whether the installation server share is listed in the

policy "Network access: Shares that can be accessed anonymously". To

do that please open the "Local Security Policy" in "Administrative

Tools". In the tree navigate to "Security Settings" -> "Local

Policies" -> "Security Options" -> "Network access: Shares that can be

accessed anonymously". If your installation server's file share doesn'

t show up there then please add it and check whether the Automatic

Update Service on the clients then also works using the SYSTEM

account. If it doesn't then please check whether changing the policy "

Network access: Let Everyone permissions apply to anonymous users" to "

Enabled" fixes the problem.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thanks for that.

Using your instructions, I verified that the Installation Server share is in fact shared and can be accessed anonymously.

Someone pointed out to me that the installation server that the clients may be looking for is the one that their package was built on. In our case, that installation server is no longer available so I guess what I'm looking for is a way to point the clients to the installation server that was recently set up.

Mitzi

ChadRichardson
Participant
0 Kudos

Hi, Mitzi

Our tech expert (Jeff Patterson) may have the answer.

Try right clicking on the SAP icon on the desktop and open with notepad. The parameter SapSrcDir can be changed to the new source.

Hope this helps,

Chad

jude_bradley
Advisor
Advisor
0 Kudos

Hello Mitzi,

Please refer to the documentation chapters 3.7 and 3.9 to give you an insight on how the services work.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Re:Sections 3.7 & 3.9 from SAP Frontend Installation Guide 7.20

found at http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source=web&cd=2&sqi=2&ved=0CCYQFjAB&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.sdn.sap.com%...

Thanks for your response. However, I have read the complete Installation Guide and I have found no details relevant to my situation. I still need to know if anything additional needs to be defined on the clients to 'point' them to the server in order for us to leverage the "Automatic Update" functionality.