cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Smartform printing problem using dot matrix printer

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello Guys, Need help badly regarding smartforms

I'm using epson LQ-2190 dot matrix printer, my problem is that frames/lines are not

printing but during print preview it shows. The texts in my form are printing fine.

I've tried changing the size and type of measurement of the border from mm to cm

and almost all available type but still no use.

Has anyone encountered or solve this before? I'm not really sure but I'm thinking it's

the issue from the device type of printer?

Thanks alot in advance for the help

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Guys, thanks for the suggestions but unfortunately, frames are not still printed

Please any other ways to fix?

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Juan,

I guess you are using "Framed Patterns" at "template" level, Instead use at "window" level and do as I have suggested.

Follow path:

option in window -> output options tab -> box and shading section > Frames .

Under Frames:

Lines With check(tick)

Spacing empty

width 1 PT

Let me know if any issue.

BR

Dep

Edited by: DeepakNandikanti on Aug 15, 2011 10:11 AM

Former Member
0 Kudos

I actually applied this in window level as you mentioned.

I've used 1 pt, 25/30TW etc but still not appearing in printout.

I have several windows and tried it on different types of measurement from MM to TW, almost all.

Anyway thanks for the time.

Any suggestions will be of great help. thanks!

Edited by: juanMah on Aug 15, 2011 11:38 AM

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Juan,

After you have used 1 pt, 25/30TW etc did the preview show the changes? i.e., increment in thickness of line.

BR

Dep

Former Member
0 Kudos

Yes, the preview did changed. But still no changes in printout.

I've also tried sy-vline/uline before but this won't also print. Haven't tried underscore, but ofcourse vertical lines would be another issue.

I appreciate your suggestions, thanks!

I do have some windows with overlapping borders, but I do also have other windows that don't overlap. If this is the case this windows frames should have printed right?

Edited by: juanMah on Aug 15, 2011 1:21 PM

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Juan,

Juan Wrote :>>I do have some windows with overlapping borders, but I do also have other windows that don't overlap. If this is the case this windows frames should have printed right?

Ya correct.

Did you try with Framed templates?? would that suffice your requirement?.

Have you checked with your BASIS team regarding printing HORIZONTAL & VERTICAL Lines in Smartforms ?.

Printer Settings can be checked using SPAD transaction code.

In SPAD(full administration) and check if ur device type for dot matrix printer( output devices ) is SAPWIN or TWSAPWIN this might be helpful.

BR

Dep

Edited by: DeepakNandikanti on Aug 15, 2011 1:50 PM

Former Member
0 Kudos

I do have framed template in my line items, vertical frame with 15 TW, and yes I do informed the BASIS team about this.

Current device type used is EPESCP9, haven't tried the 2 types you mentioned.

I'll try and let you know. Thank you so much!

Edited by: juanMah on Aug 15, 2011 1:58 PM

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thanks alot and my problem is now fixed, it is definitely a printer issue regarding the device type

In my case I use SWIN and changed the Host Spool access method from U to S

Thank you so much!

Edited by: juanMah on Aug 16, 2011 7:24 AM

Answers (7)

Answers (7)

aidan_black
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

There are problems and limitations to print to dot matrix printers with the native device types the use the Line Driver II(STN2) driver as per the note.

19807-SAPscript print problems with standard driver STN2

You should print via windows and a windows device type like SWINCF which utilises the Windows printer driver.

0 Kudos

The problem seems more with the printer drivers you are using rather than the smart forms. Try out some things to solve the problem.

• Can your printer in the way it is defined on some other printer.
  • Install the printer drivers on your pc and set the printer as default and send the output to win printer rather than sap printer.
  • Try to print something other than this smart form on the same printer using the same settings u are using for the printing of smart forms,

Based on my experience you will be able to sort this out.

Good Luck!!

You can also visit my post on the a3 sublimation printer for beginners.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Juan,

There is one alliterative to print Horizontal Lines which you could try out:

Create a text node under window and use '___' (continuous underscore) to print as horizontal line.

One more thing Have slight gap between windows because overlapping of windows causes PRINT problem and not at print preview level.

Also use the outer frames and inner frames in the template tab.

BR

Dep

Edited by: DeepakNandikanti on Aug 15, 2011 1:08 PM

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Juan,

The solution I gave is an alternative.

What actually has to be done is at the printer level settings( check with printer admin.) . Because for some Dot matrix printers horizontal lines are not printed( at least they print anonymously ).

I encountered a similar situation where the testing was done on one printer( no issues in horizontal lines ) and was in use on different printer( issues in horizontal lines where thick) in production environment.

BR

Dep

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thanks alot guys for suggestions, actually I've tried 1cm, 2mm-5mm and other types of measurement but still no use, but haven't tried those sizes you mentioned. Hope it will work. I appreciate your inputs. I'll post how did it go

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Juan,

Just change your line width to 25/30 TW (By default this will be 15 TW).

Even I faced the same error b4. And in my case I just solved like described above.

Hope you will also b able to solve your issue.

BR,

Vinit

Former Member
0 Kudos

HI Juan,

Increase the width from 15.00 Tw to 1 PT for the windows.

Path : Window > Output Options > Box and Shading > Frames > Width.

Save, activate & execute.

Result : Preview line will be thick but output line(on paper) will be visible .

BR

Dep

Edited by: DeepakNandikanti on Aug 13, 2011 7:01 AM