cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Changing the name of an object

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi

I have 3 Universes which have 3 differently named objects that relate to a Customer Number. For example

Unv1 = Customer Number

Unv2 = Customer Reference

Unv3 = Organisation Number

Each of the Universes (Unv1, Unv2, Unv3) connect to a different Databases (Db1, Db2, Db3).

In some reports the 3 Universes have been used to obtain the data from the various datasources and the results have been merged on the common field.

To make it clearer for users, we wish to rename these objects to have the same name (CustomerID) in each of the Universes. For example:

Unv1 = Customer Number rename to CustomerID

Unv2 = Customer Reference rename to CustomerID

Unv3 = Organisation Number rename to CustomerID

If this is done, what will happen to the Merged Dimensions that have been created in reports - will these merged dimensions need to be recreated or will they automatically resolve the next time the document interacts with the CMS??

Thanks in advance

Julian

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

arijit_das
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

This will not affect the merged dimensions. But make sure that you change the name of the same object. Do not delete any object and create another with same name.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello

The reply says that this renaming will not affect the Merged Dimensions. However what if the objects renamed have been used in the Merge???

So in my example above the Customer Number object in each of my 3 objects are named:

Unv1 = Customer Number

Unv2 = Customer Reference

Unv3 = Organisation Number

And each of the Universes (Unv1, Unv2, Unv3) connect to a different Databases (Db1, Db2, Db3).

I now have a Web Intelligence Document that returns information from Queries on Unv1, Unv2 and Unv3 and in Web Intelligence have created a Merged Dimension called "Customer ID Number" that is merged on:

Unv1.Customer Number = Unv2.Customer Reference = Unv.Organisation Number

In each of the Universes I want to rename these objects to

Unv1 = Customer Number rename to CustomerID

Unv2 = Customer Reference rename to CustomerID

Unv3 = Organisation Number rename to CustomerID

Is it still the case here that I will not have to recreate the Merged Dimension following the rename of the objects??

Thanks in advance.

Julian

arijit_das
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

you don't need to worry about it unless the ID of the objects are changed which will happen if you delete and recreate any of the objects in universe.

Answers (0)