cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

NwSapSetup was not able to grant you administrator rights

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello

I have configured Local Security Handling on our SAP installation server (v 8.6.1.54), which configured fine, and I have added the account used for this as an administrator on a test client PC.

When I try to install the SAP GUI 7.2 patch level 6 package from the installation server share, with a user that does not have local admin privileges, the following error occurs:

NwSapSetup was not able to grant you administrator rights, either because:

- the distribution service didn't respond

- the installation service couldn't be started

- the logon credentials for the installation service are incorrect

Please contact your system administrator

Any ideas?

Thanks

UPDATE:

The log files on the server are giving me a clue as to why this is failing:

14:56:20 NwSapFeiUt 1 Trying to make user >LSHUser< local Admin of >TEST-LAP<

14:56:41 NwSapFeiUt 1E Could not make user member of local admins Error message: The RPC server is unavailable. Error code 0x000006ba (1722).

14:56:41 NwSapFeiUt 1 ERROR! Can not make the user cciservicesap a member of the local admins group of the wksta GBH-LAP-037

So I've found the problem it seems...but why it has to try making LSHUser a local admin, when it is already an admin on that machine, I don't know!

Edited by: J. Walton on Aug 12, 2011 3:43 PM

Edited by: J. Walton on Aug 12, 2011 4:01 PM

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

0 Kudos

Hi, we still have the same problem.

The OSS ticket is still open.

But, on the client, on our site, we have the File & Network Sharing on Network is disabled. Therefore you can't connect to the RPC Service.

If you will check your Network setting and mybe you will find the same, File & Network Sharing on Network is disabled.

If you get other news pls. let me know.

Thx

Kim

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Kim,

I have turned the firewall off on the client, and it still does not work.

The only way I can get it to work is by adding the domain user account to the local administrators group, which totally defeats the purpose of this application.

We do not want our clients to have admin privileges!

I will keep persisting but if anyone has any other suggestions please share.

Thanks,

James

Former Member
0 Kudos

I restarted the server that contains the SAP installation files, and the installation on the client still fails, however the log files look different.

I am now seeing "User is already a admin on this wksta" - which is good.

But underneath that:

"09:17:08 NwSapFeiUt 1E Installation service : failed to start service Error message: The stub received bad data. Error code 0x000006f7 (1783)."

A quick Google suggests this could be because there are too many services running on the client laptop, and that I should uninstall some!

0 Kudos

Hello,

I just fixed this problem for another customer (who had posted a CSS message). The fix is available in Note 1587566.

Best regards, Klaus-Georg Adams

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Klaus-Georg,

Thanks for posting this - I can't access that SAP note though, I get a 403 forbidden!

I can access other notes fine...any idea why I can't get in to it?

Cheers,

James

Former Member
0 Kudos

I can get in now, thanks

Former Member
0 Kudos

I have patched the installation server using the download link provided in the OSS note.

The installation package was already at patch level 7.

I reconfigured LSH, but I still get the same error when trying to install the package with a user who is non-admin.

Any ideas?

Thanks

Former Member
0 Kudos

Ah, I see the note has been updated today, along with the patch...I've patched the server and am glad to report LSH is working now!

Thanks for your help.

James

Edited by: J. Walton on Aug 31, 2011 4:00 PM

Answers (0)