cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

File Monitoring question

Former Member
0 Kudos

Dear experts and gurus,

I am rather new at solman. I was tasked to create file monitoring in Solman. Here is my question :

File Monitoring :

1) Monitoring Creation time of file :

Background : I am moniitoring a file created for an outbound interface. A file will be created in the /out folder for a few minutes and then automatically transfer to the /archive folder. I am setting up a monitoring process to see whether the file has been delayed.

Monitoring at /out folder : Problem is the file only exist for a few minutes in the /out folder . I have set up a process to monitor it every 5 minutes but I think the gap is still too big . So it always report as a red alert although a file has arrived and been transferred.

Monitoring at /archive folder : Problem is, in the archive folder , there are already lots of files in the folder with similar file name but with an extension of the timestamp ( eg. fileServer.txt_20110810220045 ) . I do not think Solman has the functionality to automatically detect delta files ( new files ). So everytime solman goes to read the /archive folder , it did not raise any alert since it is reading old files ( hence, no delay ) . The filtering criteria in Solman is also not flexible/dynamic enough for me to differentiate new incoming files. ( cant put a dynamic variant to only look for file name with new dates )

Is there any workaround to achieve file monitoring for the above scenario ?

Or am I doing the wrong approach ?

i do not have monitoring set up at the other box .

Thanks everyone!

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (1)

Answers (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Dear lalachai

As the file is existing shorter than 5 minute in the /out folder we have no possibility to monitor there.

As of now there is also not possible to configure the selection of file name with dynamic date in it.

The selection of files with dynamic date in the name is being evaluated for the next release of St-A/PI.

Possible workaround:

In case the number of files arriving in the /archive folder is always constant per day e.g. 12 files.

The older files could be moved to another location e.g. /archive/old and

you could try to use the file monitor key figure "number of files" available as of ST-A/PI 01N to monitor

on folder /archive.

With best regards,

Maciej