cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Information Design Tool - Universe to SAP BEx Query

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Experts,

I can not create a Universe on top of a OLAP connection which I have created to a SAP BEx Query. Can anyone help me?

What I did:

1. I created a local project in the Information design Tool

2. I created a OLAP connection to a BEx query via the BICS connection

3. connection test works fine

4. I replicated the connection to the BOE

5. If I select create new Business View / Universe an select the OLAP connection I get the error message "this connection" is not supported".

Has anyone an idea to solve this issue or how it works?

If I create a relational connection to a InfoCube and afterwards I create a data foundation, then I can create a universe. But I need the universe on top of a query to use this universe in the BO Explorer.

I hope anyone can help me.

Thanks

Constantin

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (4)

Answers (4)

former_member184594
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

BO Explorer only supports UNX universes and doe NOT support OLAP, BEX query connections or any other unv universes.

To create an unx universe, you have to use IDT which won't allow you to create an OLAP universe. You can only create this kind of universe using Universe Design Tool which is the old way of creating universes.

What we did was to create Relational BW connection in IDT and build UNX universe. That's how we worked around.

Another solution to this, you can write the result of Bex Query to ODS and then create unx connections to that ODS.

Or create the bex query and webi report. Scedule the report in excel format to some ftp, and then connect BO Explorer on that excel.

These are the work arounds that can be used for this problem.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi there,

to connect to an ODS, I tried connecting via OLAP and link to an ODS.

However when I create a Business Layer I couldn't -- it says error, not supported.

How can a UNX connection be created with an ODS?

Thanks,

Iris

Former Member
0 Kudos

Constantin/Jani,

I found the answer for this, the BO Explorer can only connect to a relational Universe (UNX) and does not have access to OLAP Universe (UNX). And the only way you can create a OLAP Universe in IDT is by using BAPI and MDX connection and not through BICS connection.

--

Thanks & Regards,

SRC

Former Member
0 Kudos

HI Constantin/Jani,

I am facing the exact same problem, were you guys able to reslove this issue. Can you guys help me out with any suggestions or insights?

--

Thanks & Regards,

SRV

arijit_das
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

if you want to create a universe on top of a BEx query, use the universe designer tool.

steps:

1. create a connection. select proper driver while creating the connection. (SAP > SAP Business Warehouse > SAP Client)

2. create a new universe on top of that connection.

3. the objects in the universe will be automatically created.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

I also created a universe with the Universe Design Tool. That works, but the problem is, that this universe isn't shown in the Business Objects Explorer. Only the Universes which are created in the new format will be shown in the Explorer

cheers

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

Did you get ever get this issue solved? I am bumping into some similar issues, and would like to find a resolution.

Henry_Banks
Product and Topic Expert
Product and Topic Expert
0 Kudos

Hi,

this is easy: as the warning suggests, it's not a support workflow

the BICS connector is a driver which is designed to point directly to a BW entitlement system + Cube + BEx query using SAP native Jco markup.

the BI4.0 product doesn't support the ability to build & author a Business Layer (leading to publishing a Universe) for SAP BW OLAP sources in IDT.

The semantic layer modelling for this use case should be done inthe BEx query.

Regards,

H

customers are asking for this feature to be resurrected : https://cw.sdn.sap.com/cw/ideas/4996