cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Model Nodes? What for?

0 Kudos

Hello Everybody,

why is there a distinction between model and value nodes? I never quite crasped the concept.

Usually I prefer the value nodes wherever I can. Often I have to manipulate the data I get from the model and that is really akward with model nodes.

An example for that is when you get Char1-fields instead of real booleans from the backend. My solution is to copy model model nodes to value nodes which is neither elegant nor desirable. But I can add custom attributes or even manipulate the data with calculated attirbutes. Copying nodes is a real pain because the WDCopyService is no help either. Often there's just no way around it though.

So why is there a distinction in the first place?

Best Regards,

Michael

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (1)

Answers (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

perhaps not the needed aswer but nevertheless helpful. The differences between model nodes and value nodes will be eleminated with the next release.

Regards

Jochen

0 Kudos

Hello Jochen,

your answer is perfectly fine. This is what I wanted to hear anyway...

Thanks,

Michael

Former Member
0 Kudos

As far as I understand you mean design-time differences: from API point of you all nodes born identical.

The only gotcha I experienced myself is that it is impossible to map non-model node to model one in designer, however it is possible for dynamically created context (here there is no notion of "model node" at all)

VS

uwe_reeder
Explorer
0 Kudos

> The only gotcha I experienced myself is that it is

> impossible to map non-model node to model one in

> designer, however it is possible for dynamically

> created context (here there is no notion of "model

> node" at all)

And this is exactly what eliminating the difference between model and value nodes means. The design time approaches the run time and only speaks of nodes.

But the basic difference between value and model nodes remains: Value nodes keep the data themselves whereas model nodes hold references to another object, the "model instance" and take the attribute values from there. Which also means, that they will put changes from the UI there.

Regards, Uwe.