cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

HP-UX Integrity VM physical migration to VM host

Former Member
0 Kudos

Dear all,

We have SAP ECC 6.0 on Oracle 10.2.0.4 and HP-UX 11.31. We need to implement HP Integrity VM and to migrate the physical OS, where the Oracle and SAP resides complatelly with all HP-UX OS installations and configurations and security issues implemented, on the virtual HP VM guest. On the physical OS will stay the HP VM host installation.

Does anyone knows the easiest way of doing this migration?

Thanks in advance

BR,

Ruzica

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

markus_doehr2
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

> Does anyone knows the easiest way of doing this migration?

The easiest and quickest way is to do a system copy using standard SAP tools (backup/restore).

Check

Note 901732 - SAP on HP Integrity Virtual Machines (HPVM)

And just an additional info: Oracle 10.2.0.4 is out of general support already, I suggest you upgrade to 11g as soon as your can to ensure that your system is supported.

Markus

Former Member
0 Kudos

I've read this note and all HP IVM documentation but there were no exact steps for smooth physical system ( the current HP-UX environment) migration to VM guest and installation first of VM host which will be other HP-UX environment.

For SAP and Oracle beacuse they are on EMC storage will just vgexport and import the disks when the migration will be done.

Oracle upgrade is on our schedule list after the migration.

Thank you.

Ruzica

markus_doehr2
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

> I've read this note and all HP IVM documentation but there were no exact steps for smooth physical system ( the current HP-UX environment) migration to VM guest and installation first of VM host which will be other HP-UX environment.

I see.

> For SAP and Oracle beacuse they are on EMC storage will just vgexport and import the disks when the migration will be done.

> Oracle upgrade is on our schedule list after the migration.

This will work for filesystems, yes, but not for HP-UX kernel settings, users (/etc/passwd) etc.

That's why I would do a normal system copy using the SAP tools (sapinst) using backup/restore and when finished, delete the /usr/sap created by the installation and import the filesystems. This will ensure, that the users are properly created with their necessary persmissions.

Markus

Former Member
0 Kudos

Yes, SAP tools (sapinst) will do the work, but I still think that there is a way just like "move" production OS on the VM guest.

BR,

Ruzica

markus_doehr2
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

> Yes, SAP tools (sapinst) will do the work, but I still think that there is a way just like "move" production OS on the VM guest (VMCONVERT), see

http://docstore.mik.ua/manuals/hp-ux/en/T2767-90179/ch02s01.html#installing_hpvmmigrate

Markus

Former Member
0 Kudos

Tnx, this is a good starting point.

I did ignite backup, SAP and Oracle backup, and I'll start testing VM migration on the test environment.

BR,

Ruzica

Answers (0)